View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Tue Oct 1st, 2013 01:00 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, same volume as my last post, page 681 (http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;q1=Nantucket;rgn=full%20text;idno=ofre0014;didno=ofre0014;view=image;seq=0721). It's letter from Commander J. C. Beaumont to Rear Admiral Dahlgren reporting on damage the Nantucket sustained in July, 1863. The letter is dated September 29, 1863 and places the Nantucket at Wassaw Sound, Georgia. So far that's as near to October 1st as I can get.

As for the maps, I'm not sure how much of a help I can offer you there. I know there's a book of maps that goes with The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. I know because I own a copy of it. I'm not sure if it includes maps from the sister series pertaining to the navies. But I'm going through Cornell's Making of America section of their online library for both The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. and the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. Maps and illustrations exist in there but I can't say on which pages when I'm doing simple searches.

Keep in mind Cornell scanned the pages from both series and posted them up. And I'm willing to bet they also sat down and typed out every little word for the search function. It's easier and faster to bring up the search function and type in keywords than it is to go through all thirty volumes of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion
(two series published from 1894 to 1922; 27 volumes in the first series and 3 volumes in the second). And The War of the Rebellion is even larger (seventy volumes in four series published from 1880 to 1901; 53 in series I, 8 in series II, 6 in series III, and 4 in series IV). Thankfully both fall in the public domain.

Right now the best I can be sure I can do is to post what locations are mentioned in letters, if I can find maps in the official records I'll try to post them.

Close Window