View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2013 05:01 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Well it's Halloween once again, and will probably be November 1st when I finish this post. This will be the last ghost story I tell this year, maybe I'll tell some more next year. My next post in this thread is going to be a bibliography of my sources.

Back in 2010 I did a number of stories concerning Lincoln, in fact I've done at least one this year concerning him. How about I go a different route to close this on out. Let's go to Fort Monroe. And like 2010 I'm going to look to Christopher Coleman's Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War to finish out this years stories as well as using Angus Konstam's Civil War Ghost Stories. in place of Nancy Roberts'Civil War Ghost Stories and Legends.

As many of you know Fort Monroe probably holds the distinction of being the only fort to have served as a prison for a president. At the end of the war and after a man hunt, Jefferson Davis was imprisoned in Fort Monroe without even a trial of any kind. Coleman suggests that the radical Republican's were actually afraid to try him for treason because they were afraid he'd get a fair trial and be proved innocent. This is something we have an open discussion on an if you would like to discuss it please go here. Konstam does point out that he was indicted on charges of treason in May 1866 even though he'd already been a prisoner in the fort for a year at that point, again pointing out he was never brought to trial.

Davis would be placed in Casemate No. 2 where he would be placed, hands and feet, in shackles which would result in his health beginning to decline. His wife, Varina, would constantly fight for his freedom and for improved living conditions for him. It may have been this coupled with the doctors concern for his health, that lead to his being moved to different quarters which would allow family to stay with him. Finally in 1867 he was released.

But did Davis and Varina truly leave Fort Monroe. It's true we know what happened to Davis and his wife after his release, but some times we never truly leave places that may have had some kind of important link to us in life. And this may be true of the Davis'.

Of the two Varina is the most commonly associated to haunt Fort Monroe. Varina stayed in the quarters opposite Casemate No. 2 while Davis was incarcerated there. The second floor window to her room is the only one directly opposite of Davis' cell. Witnesses have claimed to have seen the figure of a grown woman and a little girl standing at the window, staring out it. If approached the figures will vanish. This window itself is a bit perculiar as it will vibrate. According The vibration starts around 4 PM and continues on into the night. And the sound can be loud enough to drown out any TV in the room. Army personnel have tried to stop this strange vibration, but apparently it's a bit like the stories of bloodstains in other places where the bloodstain can't seem to be removed no matter what is tried.

And if Varina and apparently their daughter Winnie appears at Fort Monroe, what of Davis himself. Though not witnessed as often as his wife, Davis has been witnessed as well. Konstam says that Davis is rarely witnessed in either of the locations of the fort where he was imprisoned, though he does reveal that Both Davis and Varina have been spotted in Casemate No 2, she seated and he on his knees in front of her, his head cradled in her lap.

It is more common to see Davis's ghost wandering the ramparts of the fort. Whether or not he was allowed to go to the ramparts in his life time, his ghost does so today. It appears to walk past the area of the flagstaff. Coleman speculates that the ghost's appearance here is more a desire from his time in Casemate No 2, a desire for freedom that may have somehow manifested itself. But Davis was eventually liberated, so was it possible that Davis did actually get to walk the ramparts before leaving in 1867? Or did he perhaps visit Fort Monroe at some point prior to the war, perhaps when he was Secretary of War.

Last edited on Fri Nov 1st, 2013 05:02 am by Hellcat

Close Window