View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Feb 22nd, 2014 07:02 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Had one of the girls in my class in high school who admitted she couldn't boil water in a microwave, she somehow burned it. Though as I recall she could at least cook on the stovetop. But to say you can burn water in the microwave, you know I think most of us think of that as nothing but a means of heating or reheating meals. Though there are, or at least were, cookbooks that actually tell how to make dishes yet it seems most folks don't see it as that. Maybe I'm wrong there, but with all these microwavable dishes you can pick up in the store that you just throw in and a few minutes later you're eating Salisbury steak and mashed potatoes with spiced apples for dessert, or what ever TV dinner or multiple dish meal you want, that it seems folks are more likely to see it as I said. Just for heating or reheating already prepared foods. Or thawing things or melting butter.

Although I do make mistakes at times, I do know how to cook. And not in a microwave. Have a gas stove and cook on that. Fish chowder, fried fish, mac and cheese (and I don't mean from a box Kraft either, either Velveeta type for a faster mac and cheese or using various cheeses, and making a proper cheese sauce), country fried schnitzel (was looking for a different way to use cube steak rather than just making a typical chicken/country fried steak and came up with the idea of using it in place of veal in a wiener schnitzel recipe), potato soup, clam chowder, scrambled eggs, stir fry, meatballs, etc. The closest I can remember myself coming to using a wood stove is cooking on the grill over wood coals. As a kid we did live in a house that had a wood stove (was 11 and 12 at the time and my mother had already been giving us kids cooking lessons for several years by then) but I don't recall myself actually cooking on the stove and I certainly don't remember using the oven then.

Close Window