View single post by wondering
 Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2014 12:30 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
wondering

Mana: 

Forgive me, but this is an interesting if somewhat tenuous postulation. If Lincoln indeed vacillated, precipitated war, you must then agree Southern brothers were more than willing to take advantage. By my reckoning the previous summary of a president-elect's predicament prior to conflagration is a bullseye, and should be considered with an open mind. Lincoln was soft-spoken, but no appeaser. If pushed he would fight, old Kentucky backbone: to thine own self be true.

Despite a modern propensity to expound on motivation, I don't see a warmonger, opportunistic chameleon, power-hungry tyrant, provocateur, outlaw. Call me a fool, propaganda's victim, I still believe he was an ambitious frontier lawyer, a bit of a bumpkin, who worked exceptionally hard to raise station, and by his own brand of wit, wisdom and political fortitude ascended to the presidency in its darkest hour. A keen politician, staunch patriot, he was no soft-handed oaf, did not rise through chicanery or nepotism -- expressed his conviction for the nation, stood by it.

I still figure the most amazing tribute to Lincoln is his election; moreso, the second time. Was the majority wayward, duped? Can one conceive of a Lincoln-like candidate in the modern era? The 19th Century was about words spoken, positions taken, compromises made and unmade, a willingness to back it up. I still feel many may concede he held the high-ground -- rather, I know I do. Conflict is often unproductive, yet as evidenced by an old post, and for most, tragically by the war itself, given enough time we might consider it can be.

Vociferous debate bares nuggets on both sides of the stream. With your indulgence I cannot subscribe to the view of nova-constitutionalists, whom given hindsight so vigorously slander his presidency -- the irony is too much. Just as Washington he most assuredly deserved to step down with grace when his service was done, but destiny demanded otherwise. I am not a mythologist, not even an American if line be drawn, yet there is no doubt in my mind ... he does indeed belong to the ages.

I remain your obedient servant.

Close Window