View single post by JDC Duncan
 Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 12:12 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JDC Duncan
$user_title

Mana: 

Friends:

It's a double-edged sword.  When I was a boy the Cabin Creek Battlesite was a few miles from my home in Northeastern Oklahoma.  The SCV and the federal government had erected a few marble columns on part of the site in the 1930's.  To get there, you had to know where it was - down gravel roads and across a farmer's field, who was gracious enough to leave the gate open.  When I was in high school, we would gather there deep in the woods with bonfires and kegs.

I was very surprised to met a re-enactor at an event here at Fort Concho this year who told me the site had been developed by the state - visitor's center, parking lots, and what he termed the best re-enacting site he'd ever been to.  I couldn't imagine it.

While I am glad that this Battlesite has garnered attention, and I'm sure the tiny towns in the area are glad for the traffic, there is still a little part of me that thinks of Big Cabin as my own secret.

Preservation in the East seems to be a race against development.  Out here, it seems to be a race against discovery.  One example near where I am now is Dove Creek - still empty desert on the edge of the Staked Plains.  To get there, you have to know where it is ...

JDC Duncan

Close Window