View single post by Kentucky_Orphan
 Posted: Sat Jan 6th, 2007 01:50 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I believe abysmal is much too strong a word for Lee's strategic thought process. While it certainly can be argued that Grant proved to be a greater strategic planner (Vicksburg was the most decisive campaign in the Civil War without a doubt), there is no indication that Grant would have crushed Lee if the forces available to him were the same as his opponent. It is important to remember how Grant won while in the east, and in the scenario Homeschool describes, his strategic thinking would have to be abandoned and a whole new strategy employed. Remember, the Austerlitz Chimera would not have to be achieved by Lee in order for things to turn out much differently than they did. One check, one time forcing Grant to pull back across the Potomac and baring a miracle the Generals actions from that point on would have been moot (Lincoln defeated, funding for war stops).

In my opinion, everyone who loves the United States should thank God (or thank science if you are an atheist, I suppose) Lee didn't have those assets. 

Oh, by the way, I detest the Yankees, but point taken Doc C.

Close Window