View single post by Widow
 Posted: Thu Jan 11th, 2007 12:04 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

I find myself drawn to books about individual people in the war: memoirs, diaries and biographies.
  • The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant
  • Memoirs of General W. T. Sherman
  • Fighting with Jeb Stuart: Major James Breathed and the Confederate Horse Artillery, by David P. Bridges
  • Lincoln's Railroad Man: Herman Haupt, by Francis A. Lord
  • Recollections and Letters of Robert E. Lee, collected by his son, Capt. Robert E. Lee, Jr.
  • Gettysburg Requiem: The Life and Lost Causes of Confederate Colonel William C. Oates, by Glenn W. LaFantasie
  • Three Years a Soldier: The Diary and Newspaper Correspondence of Private George Perkins, Sixth New York Independent Battery, 1861-1864, edited by Richard N. Griffin
  • The Commanders of Chancellorsville: The Gentleman versus the Rogue, by Edward G. Longacre
  • At Gettysburg, or What a Girl Saw and Heard of the Battle, by Mrs. Tillie Pierce Alleman
  • Narrative of Military Operations during the Civil War, by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston
  • The Diary of a Dead Man, compiled by J. P. Ray, about Union Private Ira Pettit, who died at Andersonville
  • Sherman: A Soldier's Life, by Lee Kennett
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship that Won the Civil War, by Charles Bracelen Flood
  • Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier, by Jeffry D. Wert
  • General John Buford: A Military Biography, by Edward G. Longacre
  • Company Aytch, or, a Side Show of the Big Show, by Sam Watkins
  • The Personal Memoirs of P. H. Sheridan
  • Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander
And I enjoy Civil War fiction, too.
  • Promise & Honor, Honor & Glory, and Glory & Promise, by Kim Murphy, a trilogy about two sisters near Fredericksburg, one marries a Union officer, the other a Confederate officer
  • That Fateful Lightning: A Novel of Ulysses S. Grant, by Richard Parry
  • Murder Most Confederate: Tales of Crimes Quite Uncivil, edited by Martin H. Greenberg, including a short story by Ambrose Bierce
  • At the Edge of Honor, Point of Honor, Honorable Mention, A Dishonorable Few, An Affair of Honor, by Robert N. Macomber, the first five of a series of eight about a Union Navy officer's adventures and career from 1862 to the late 1800s.
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin, or, Life Among the Lowly, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier
  • Jim Mundy, by Robert H. Fowler
  • Gods and Generals and Last Full Measure, by Jeff Shaara
  • The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
  • North and South, Love and War, Heaven and Hell, Charleston, and Savannah, by John Jakes
  • Hard Road to Gettysburg, by Ted Jones
  • Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
  • Marching through Culpeper, by Virginia Beard Morton
My goodness, I had NO idea that I had so many, just in those two categories!  I personally am the one who keeps Borders Books in business.

Patty

Close Window