View single post by ole
 Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 03:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

I'm just trying to figure out if those same shots that hit him were the same shots that hit his horse. 

Fuller: From descriptions I've read, he was nicked behind the knee just above his boot top. If that is true, the ball would necessarily continue into the horse. But then, it could have been a ricochet. I know nothing about other hits.

Could the horse have been hit first causing him to loose control and put himself in a vulnerable position? 

I don't know how the horse could have put him in a more vulnerable position that that he chose for himself:  Leading an infrantry charge mounted. If his boys didn't get him, the yanks surely would have. The mounted man makes a better target of himself than the flag-bearer.

Fan posted: .....in the Hornet's Nest, it might have been well nigh impossible to know where bullets came from, especially given that the general's horse having been hit twice probably was unsteady and moving around.

Minor observation, Cleburne Fan. This action took place at the Federals' left, which Johnston intended to turn -- not technically in the Hornet's Nest.

Thanks for opening the thread. Things were getting a bit slow.

Ole

Close Window