View single post by younglobo
 Posted: Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 08:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
younglobo

Mana: 

Albert.. thanks for the kind words

Ole ... We think Alike, Great points

I did some more research and came across the Forrest Historical Society Site, which is sponsored by SCV so it may be bias but still somethin to think about.

quote    "It is said Forrest was kind to his negroes; that he never separated members of a family, and that he always told his slaves to go out in the city and choose their own masters. There is no instance of any slave taking advantage of the permission to run away. Forrest taught them that it was to their own interest not to abuse the privilege; and, as he also taught them to fear him exceedingly, I can believe the story. There were some men in the town to whom he would never sell a slave, because they had the reputation of being cruel masters.”

"Testimony is unanimous that besides the ordinary good business practice of looking after the physical well-being of the slaves he bought and sold, he went to lengths to keep families together, and even to reunite them, so as to avoid the painful separations that were too common in the days of the rapid expansion of cotton planting in the lower Mississippi River region; and that frequently he was besought by slaves to purchase them, because of his reputation for kindness and fair treatment. "  END quote 

Facts & quotes taken from “First With the Most”, Robert Henry, pg. 23-27.

Now I am well aware that Forrest was a slave trader , but the record shows the he was pretty fair to the colored race so did he or did he not know to full extent what was happening at Frt. Pillow ?  He did give orders for it to stop so he thought it was out of hand . HMMM stuff to think on

Close Window