View single post by Notch
 Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 01:11 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Notch
Neutral Revisionist

Mana: 

I think William T Sherman summed things up quite well when he said,

"If the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war, and not popularity seeking".

Ambrose Bierce even believed that while others were writing about war in a romantic fashion, war was not romantic, as Bierce eperienced firsthand, and that it was brutal, cruel, as far from romantic as you can get.  So to believe in this romanticized version of Civil War soldiers in battle is most likely NOT how it occured. I believe that Quantrill and his men, and those like them, were doing exactly what they thought they needed to to preserve their way of life: right or wrong...

Sure, there are plenty of instances where it is documented that it did, but raiders, jayhawkers, bushwhackers, state militias, home guards were facts of the war and were as big a deciding factor as the generals at Shiloh, Antietam or Gettysburg.

Quantrill and his men were products of their time, right or wrong, no different that Stonewall Jackson, John Moseby, William T. Sherman, Nathan Bedford Forrest or even Grant & Lee. All these men made choices that not only affected their entire lives, but those that came afterwards.

Close Window