View single post by 2nd. LT. Chapman
 Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 04:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
2nd. LT. Chapman

Mana: 

I'll help you put it into a "nutshell", I was there. First of all no one digs trenchs and holes are filled in. Most holes are a few inches deep unless some folks find a hut, then it can go several ft deep but it will be filled back in.

There have been bulldozers in there and they did leave holes but they were brought in by the landowner at an earlier time.

The land in question is private property that some tree huggers seem to think they have some claim to. Still, it is private property. This particular hunt was set up by a man who has hunted relics there for 20 odd years. He was the "middle man" and the person he was dealing with was a former employee. This was unknown to the organizers, but that is no excuse. In any case, relic hunters do no harm to the land. At least this bunch didn't. There are some lowlifes who sneak into parks and onto private lands under the cover of darkness and without permission but that is another story.

A responsible relic hunter is a person who love's history and manages to save a bit of it. There is something called the "sink rate" of any land and in some places relics just get too deep to find but on rocky, clay hills this is not the case, relics are near the surface. Lead minnies and some larger brass items are still in decent condition in some places but in many places buckles etc are really rotting away. They need to be saved if possible. I came away from that hunt with a bullet in a tree limb that was laying on the ground. IF I had not found it the wood would have rotted completely away and just left the bullet, what good would that be? As far as iron... it is in worse shape by far but can still be salvaged for a collection. I also found a hammer from a flintlock.

So... people go onto private property, with permission, (I admit, in this case, there was an error but nothing came of it), use metal detectors, find some relics, clean and preserve them, and add them to a collection. What is the problem?? These collections eventually either are sold or donated to museums. I will never give mine to a museum, I will loan it to them but museum tend to sell stuff when they need cash, they cannot sell a loaned collection. You see, the vast majority of people who go to all the trouble it takes to hunt and find relics are people who really love history.

This stuff about digging trenches and leaving holes is a lie someone told you.

Personally, I will never attend another planned hunt, it's way too much trouble for me. I have local sites on private property, with permission where I find all sorts of minnies, buttons, buckles, etc. One property has been especially good to me where I found among all the other stuff a Sutler's Token, issued by D.J. Church, there are less than 10 known to exist. This one is hard to read but you can still make it out. I don't know how many more years in the ground it would have taken for it to become nothing... it is a thin as a piece of paper now.

Tell me, what good would come of leaving it in the ground?

As long as hunters are within the law... there is no problem.

There are other links.

This is the group that sponsored the hunt you reference: http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/ check out the relic forum to see what is being saved by these people you think are so bad.

There is also Findmall which is another good group: http://www.findmall.com/list.php?30

Don't be so quick to judge when your source is a group with a political agenda. This group, the savethecrowsnest people, came right out and told us that they really didn't have a problem with what we were doing, they knew we were not harming the place. It is part of a bigger issue... they want to take this man's property and they took the opportunity to try and make it look as if the owner is irresponsible by misrepresenting what the hunters were doing.

The three biggest collectors here in Atlanta over the past 50 years donated their collections to the Atlanta Historical Society and the AHS now boast's the largest CW collection in the country, bigger than Gettysburg. If they had not collected the stuff it would not be.

J

Close Window