View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Thu Jul 5th, 2007 02:09 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hubby and I were just sitting by that seawall in a great spot that allowed us to watch the Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Lantana and Lake Worth fireworks displays plus the private fireworks of the Richy Richs who put on their own spectacular shows even though fireworks were supposed to be illegal due to the drought.

Anyhow, a question came to my mind. All those fireworks up and down the Intracoastal Waterway made an incredible noise, what with all the booming and crackling and the whistling of private rockets.

So I tried to imagine if that is what a Civil War battle would sound like with artillery and muskets firing in several different locations. I have never witnessed a full scale re-enactment so I don't know. Can anybody tell me if the sounds of a fireworks display closely resembles the sound of artillery fire in a raging battle or would artillery fire be even louder and would the boom carry even farther?

I ask because I have read that the 1:00PM cannon barrage at Gettysburg, July third, 1863 could be heard as far away as Pittsburg.

Close Window