View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2007 03:02 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I have a lot of catching up to do here.  So many thought-provoking comments that I want to do them the justice of well-baked answers, and I am behind on about everything in my life right now.

I have a specific book in mind that will, most likely, bear out the above arguments that Ewell could not have taken the hill had he attempted to do so.  There is so much contradictory documentation out there that it is really hard to sort through it all, but I recall that this one found a way to put most of the major elements into play and follow logical conclusions to the end, and Nope, It Didn't Look Good for Ewell's Command.  I guess I have to go rescue That Book from it's storage box in the basement, but I'm not sure I am well-rested enough to do it right now, as it has a formidable position, in the corner, under a number of boxes, and surrounded by numerous other boxes. :shock:;)!  Guess I'll try an evasive manuever and go to the library....what would Stonewall do,;):D:cool:.

One element that I think has not really been brought into play here, however, is the morale and fitness of each army.   As I understand it, a number of soldiers in The ANV were reluctant (for a number of reasons) to take the battle North and therefore stayed behind, reducing the number of The ANV notably for that particular campaign. However,  those who fought were in the finest of spirits and probably the best fed and rested that they had been in for a very long time.  On the other hand, despite low morale and another doubtful change in command, plus losing John Reynolds that very day (A certain blow to morale, I would think) The AotP did have the home-ground advantage. 

Well, Unlike Pvt. Clewell, whom had a rich and very well constructed argument to share, that is all I gots right now; will do better next time.

Just, this could be a great thread, would love to get it going.. maybe draw in some of those frequent visitors...off topic, but there were 65 visitors on line at one time here Sunday night, according to the members/visitors summary!

G'night,

Joanie

Last edited on Tue Jul 10th, 2007 03:04 am by JoanieReb

Close Window