View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 05:27 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Thanks, Joe. I stand corrected. I must be remembering someone asking Sickles why, if he's such a hero, why he has no monument on the battlefield, and that's when he responds that the whole battlefield is his monument. He actually tried to discredit Meade's G-burg performance after the war and, ironically, used the Pipe Creek circular as proof that Meade had no intention of fighting at G-burg. Lovely guy.

HankC: Well, you're kind of making my point. Before Sickles moves the Third Corps out, he feels his own left flank is open, (nobody is on Little Round Top at this point) and if the Rebels put artillery in the commanding heights of the Peach Orchard (relative to his own position), he's toast — or he thinks he is. Sickles moves forward at 2 p.m. Sedgewick doesn't show up until about 3 p.m. with lead elements of the Sixth Corps that still needs time to deploy after marching 34 miles. So Sickles' Third Corps becomes the targets for Longstreet that weren't otherwise there. His very presence at the Emmitsburg Road position screws up the Confederate assault, eats up valuable daylight and manpower that the Confederates could use later. There's no doubt that Sickles' position ultimately is a poor one and a costly one, and there's no question he didn't follow correct command protocal. But to me that's not the point. The point is that he is where he is and it messes up the Confederates who didn't expect him to be there. Blame Longstreet for wasting valuable time countermarching most of the day? Blame Hood for heading to the Round Tops instead of the Emmitsburg Road (Hood, against Lee's plan, wanted to go around and behind the Round Tops. He even fusses with Longstreet about it. Here's another guy that doesn't follow orders. Should Hood be cashiered? Where does it end?) Blame Mahone for not continuing the assault just because it's getting a little dark?

I noticed Sickles gets his MOH 34 years after the battle. That's a lot of lobbying.

I can't believe I'm playing this role of supporting Sickles. I don't want to, but I'm doing it for the sake of the argument and this thread. It's like eating potato chips. I can't stop.

Close Window