View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Sun Jul 15th, 2007 12:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ole writes: "Even if Ewell manages to get Cemetery and Culp's Hills, the seizures would leave the ANV in no condition to proceed. He would have a victory of sorts in Pennsylvania, but he would have to go home in worse shape than he was."

All of which alludes to a previous point you yourself made — what the heck is Lee doing there anyway? His incursion into Pa., therefore, is really lost before it even begins. Even if he fights and wins a decisive battle in Pa., he can't go on? (I agree with you about him being low on ammo and still facing a bunch of angry Yankees — that's factual — but my argument is weighted by the prospect that a rebel victory in the north is more than the north can bear by this point. Maybe Lincoln is so frazzled he replaces Meade. With whom? Hancock (wounded on the third day)? Sedgewick? Couch? And then what?)

Does that mean Lee should have remained on the Rappahannock after Chancellorsville to fritter away the offensive momentum he's gained?

Kentucky writes: "As for Sickles, say what you will about the man, but he was a fighter. If his actions at Gettysburg had proved advantageous people would be saying" Thank God Sickles did what he did, and not listen to that idiot Meade. All good officers take the initiative and make moves based on their own discretion at times...".

Hear, hear. Nicely done. Although the 'Thank God..." quote is probably what Sickles actually said about himself, LOL.

In the end, I think Sickles' actions DID prove advantageous for the Union. He just doesn't get the adulation — either now or from his peers — because he's such an arrogant scumbucket.

Close Window