View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2007 12:46 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

OK, we're rolling now.

I just called my aunt in Pennsylvania and apparantly I caught her in one of her clearer moments. I told her that I was doing a little checking into the Clewell branch of the family tree, that I'd just gotten back from Gettysburg and there were six Clewells listed on the Pa. monument.

"Oh, yes," she said. "Ed's father's name is on there."

"Do you remember his first name?" I asked, my heart in my throat.

"No," she said, and my heart sank. "But I have it written in our Bible. Let me check."

Moments later, she came back on the phone. "His name was William and he played in the band. I think he played the tuba."

I know I've had this conversation with her before but at the time, she couldn't remember anything. So I let it go figuring it was a dead end and that was that.

Anyway, I quickly ran to fetch my regimental of the 153rd Pa., and there is listed a Pvt. William H. Clewell, who played in the regimental band, Co. A.

So if Ed was my uncle, and William was his father, does that make William my great uncle, once removed? I'm not sure how that works. But for the first time ever, I'm 100 percent sure I've located a relative who fought in the war, and the two battles he was present for were Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.

My aunt went on to tell me that William fathered six sons and a daughter, so Ole was right, the Clewells are like rabbits after all. :P (Uncle Ed, for his part, fathered three daughters).

But I'm excited as all get out to have discovered this and y'all were here for it. Drinks all around, barkeep.

TD:
I may not yet be done with the list you provided. The photo of John David Clewell's tombstone is actually located just up the road from me in Salem Cemetery in Winston-Salem. I'll have to go look for it. I am curious about his death date — Dec. 13, 1862 —which, of course, is the battle of Fredericksburg. Because he was 58 years old, I wonder if that's just coincidental because if he was killed in the battle, he was apparently a 58-year-old private. Unlikely, but I guess it could have happened.

But again, thanks for your help, TD. You actually provided the impetus for me to call my aunt one more time and this time it paid huge dividends. Thanks a million.

Close Window