Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2007 02:03 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

PVT Clewell,

Looking at the stone of John David Clewell, two things jumped out at me:

John David Clewell (1805 - 1862) - Find A Grave Memorial

1) It says that he was born in : "Shoeneck, Penn."

This relates to Richard L. Clewell and Robert A. Clewell. Both are buried in:

God's Acre Schoeneck Moravian Cemetery in Schoeneck, Northampton Cty., PA.

Thus, there must be a family connection with John David removing at some point to NC.

2) The people who made the stone were lousy at math. John David was born in 1805, and thus was only 57 years, 8 mos when he died.

I think it very unlikely that he was a soldier at that age. Its not impossible, just very unlikely. I've read about some elderly cavalrymen, but he was older than Robert E. Lee. Perhaps you can learn more about him from the records of the cemetery itself.

What might be more likely was that he was the father of some who might have served. North Carolina was a Confederate state, but some areas had folks favoring the Union. His offspring if any, likely favored the southern cause, but not necessarily so. The one Confederate Clewell in a NC unit was that Augustus A. Clewell. I would be interested to see if he was related to John David. I don't see any other Clewells buried around John David, but that doesn't mean that none are there.

I would advise you to learn as much as you can from your elderly aunt whenever she is in a cooperative mood. She probably knows some things that you'll never be able to learn from anyone else. I would ask to examine the family bible. She might also be able to put you onto other sources of information.

There are many, many possible resources that might help you in your search. Your relatives probably collected pensions and were members of the GAR. Besides their records, there are Census records, marriage and death records, etc, etc.

I have helped a number of people find their Civil War era relatives that were long lost (or never known). Its apparent that you have an extraordinary number of relatives from this era to research if you ever choose to make a serious effort at it.

They are all out there, waiting to be found.

Close Window