View single post by ole
 Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 04:57 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

It must have been the same for those watching the Civil War generation go down. In 1890, the GAR had almost half a million members. What fun it would have been to hear the stories that they told in those days.

An appreciated observation, TD. Have been closely associated with WWII vets. And now they are very old. Was associated with a ranger who climbed those cliffs on D-Day. Was familiar with a paratrooper who dropped behind the lines. Worked a summer for a farmer who, when he took off his shirt, had horrific scars. Perhaps I should have asked him where and how he got them. But they were overwhelming and I suppose I knew where and how he got them. He was an American boy and he got caught up in a war. And he stepped up and did his duty.

Brother-in-law got caught up in the Minnesota National Guard and ended up sweeping the Phillipine Islands at 19! It's all still quite real. Another brother-in-law served as a cook. Don't know were, when, or whatever, but he was in it.

The dad was a farmer with 5 kids in 1941. He was passed over. Something about his corn and oats were more valued than his line service. I'd imagine that he might have done well, but it didn't happen that way.

But. I ramble, again!

ole

But ramble, I will. GGfather was 50 in 1861 and also had 5 children. Not much chance that he'd have been involved. What I've seen of him, he could've whupped 5 rebs by himself, but he remained in the backwaters. And out.

Last edited on Thu Nov 29th, 2007 05:03 pm by ole

Close Window