View single post by 39th Miss. Walker
 Posted: Mon Dec 10th, 2007 01:10 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

Ole, I think you are losing sight of the big picture.
The point is without the large plantation culture, if the South was just small farmers with no slaves, the war would have never been fought. My opinion.
As for a few points. Slavery. Keep in mind that the wealth of the large plantation owners was tied up in their land and slaves, slaves were property.
Basically starting with Garrison and his "Liberator" he advocated the abolishment of slavery with NO COMPENSATION to the slave owners. That really started the problem.
Secondly the Tariffs did not effect the small farmer significantly, as I alluded to. The did affect the South and you forget the Tariffs on hemp and woolen goods for example, commonly bought by the small farmer. The problem with tariffs was when they were used for protectionism instead of revenue only to protect northern industries with no benefit to the South.
As for the need for slaves, are you kidding? There is no way hired hands would do the work. It was tried time and again with Irish labor particularly. First of all the hired help would not work as the slaves did and secondly in areas such as South Carolina and the Rice culture they could not last long working the rice fields.
After the war there was rioting partially caused by working for wages, script, and so forth. The rice farming ceased to exist by the later 1800's in almost all of South Carolina and the last plantation growing rice was about 1917.
Now some of this is partially due to mechanized farming in Louisiana and Texas but without slave labor the industry collapsed.
I would also challenge the assertion a slave was 27 before they "paid for themselves". With such a varied environment and differing crops it would be almost impossible to quantify.
Basically I was discussing some of the root causes of the war. Since you don't seem to agree what is your take? Why was the South so ready to fight for their freedoms?

It's funny but I recently read and article in a newspaper about the flag controversy here in SC. After the article many readers anonymously put forth their comments.Most didn't even have half of their facts right.
I was actually shocked at the venomous comments by many of either northern decent or who lived in the north, as expressed by their authors. Traitors they called the Confederacy, rednecks, trailer trash. They equated the Confederate flag with the NAZI flag, and on and on. "you lost the war, get over it" was a common refrain.
Yet there was on another day an article about the US support for making Kosovo a separate state from Bosnia and the problems there, how Bosnia is once again agitating to use military force. Yet some of these same readers had a totally different take and supported the secession of Kosovo. No words of traitors here!
Secession from a State has been an ongoing political process for thousands of years. Basic political, religious or economic reasons are always the cause. What made the South so different? Because it happened here? Discrimination towards the South is alive and well.

Close Window