Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

I never really properly introduced myself - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Daniel Sauerwein
SUVCW member/grad. student

Mana: 

Greetings all,

I have been away from here awhile and decided that perhaps starting in the Intro. forum would be good, as I have other posts out there that have no responses, and for that I am sorry. My name is Daniel and I am a graduate student in History at the University of North Dakota. I joined this forum because my blog Civil War History is tracked by CWi as part of This Week in Blogs. I am always looking for new topic ideas to write about for the site as well as new writers so please consider letting me know your thoughts. I hope to be a bit more active here, but grad. school keeps me pretty busy. With that said, I say hello and hope to hear from some of you.

Daniel Sauerwein

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 04:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Daniel:

Far across the plains from Brookings,
Far as eye can see;
Stands an old deserted outhouse
known as the University.

There are writers on this board. I would hope, with you, that they might pitch in some. But I can't assure that.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 04:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Welcome to the board! This is a very enjoyable board with many excellent contributors who are very knowledgeable on the topic. A great place to learn, and to contrubute your own perspective in civil debate...except with that "ole" guy, you'll find he's both smug and arrogant and generally disagreable...Hes been known to hit people with other views than his own with his cane, and he hates puppies...thats right...puppies...lol only kidding of course! We all get along fine here, or at least we used to untill this post of mine...

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 05:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

I love puppies. Their haunches are especially good deep-fried. And dusted with garlic salt and cayenne pepper. With an ice-cold Fresca!

ole

Last edited on Sat Oct 6th, 2007 05:39 am by ole

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Ok Ole, I was w/ you until you said Fresca... Actually, tastes just like roast beef. Welcome again Daniel

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 01:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

Hello there. It's nice to meet you. I'm an even younger historian than yourself (though I guess technically I am only one in the sense of having an interest, not having a degree).

I've recently started a blog, Ten Roads (http://tenroads.blogspot.com). If you have no objections, I'd love to be affiliates or whathaveyou. I think it would be great incentive for me to keep writing, and I've always really enjoyed your blog.

Anyway, welcome!

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 05:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Daniel & Sarah welcome to both of you. I enjoyed reading your blogs, keep up the good work.

Roger

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Daniel Sauerwein

Mana: 

Sarah,

I encourage you in your work and your blog looks good and has potential. I think it is great to see a young person with such a passion for history. I encourage you to think long and hard about where you want to go to college and always talk with your parents and let them help you. I only wish I would have thought of blogging about history when I was your age, as who knows where I could be with seven years under my belt.

I am not entirely sure how you could affiliate with my site. I appreciate your comments about my site and wonder when you first found it. As for having an incentive to write, if you would like, I am more than happy to give you a chance to write on my site. What you can do is post your posts to both your site and mine. Since my site is tracked by Civil War Interactive, it would give your writing a bit of attention.

If you want to write for my site or affiliate with it, I would ask that you take your parents to my blog and have them email me stating that you have their permission to write on my site. I only ask this because I would need your email to invite you to Wordpress.com to write, and I will only ask for it with their permission and their knowledge. If your parents have an interest in the war, they are certainly more than welcome to write also, but I NEED their permission before I would invite you to write for the site. This is to protect myself and you given the difference in age, since you are underage.

Again, I thank you for your welcome on the forum, your interest in my blog, and sharing your blog with others. I wish you luck in your goals and studies.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Roger, thanks for the welcome. I am glad to see someone from across the pond with an interest in both the war and my site.

Last edited on Tue Oct 9th, 2007 02:23 am by Daniel Sauerwein

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

That's a fantastic offer.  However, that's a lot of (understandable) red tape for right now, just getting started and all.  Perhaps in the future, if the offer still stands at that point.

I've been reading your blog for probably two months now, off and on, and found it through CWi's Blog Roll.

Anyway, thanks and again, welcome.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 02:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Sarah,

One of the very best Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides around, I think, is Charlie Fennel, and I believe he lives in Hanover. Do you know him? My roommates and I hire him out for an afternoon whenever we come to the Civil War Institute.

Also, do you know Gabor Borit?

I reckon Gettysburg College wouldn't be a bad place to go to school unless you absolutely have to get out of Pennsylvania.

And I love eating breakfast at the Lincoln Diner.

Daniel,

North Dakota? Yikes. That's about as far away as, what, North Yorkshire?

Welcome aboard to both of you.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

PvtClewell,

I know several licensed battlefield guides.  Bob Steenstra was my 8th grade history teacher and I know Joanne Lewis fairly well, as she is involved with the train station.  I've also met Barb Sanders (kind of a funny story), Chris Rebman, and John Heiser, but they probably wouldn't remember me.  The name Charlie Fennell sounds very familiar to me.  I did a quick Google search and found out that I know his name for the following reasons:
- He's a professor at the local community college and my guidance counselor gave me his name for possible career shadowing purposes.
- He's the father of a girl that graduated last year, but went to my high school.  I sort of knew her, as we were both in the musical together.
- His wife was my 4th grade math teacher.
So I guess I know OF him, but do not know him personally.

I haven't yet met Gabor Borit.  I'd love to, though, and I hope that the connections I've made through the train station will eventually result in my meeting him.

I looked into Gettysburg College early on in my college search, and it's not a horrible place.  But it's not for me.  I do want to do their Gettysburg Semester eventually though.

The Lincoln Diner is right across the street from the train station and sometimes the most wonderful fried chicken smell drifts over.  Oddly enough, I've never actually eaten there!

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 06:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Daniel Sauerwein

Mana: 

Sarah,

If I can help you, as a historian, in terms of answering questions about college, please let me know. I can at least give you info. on my alma mater, Illinois College and my grad. school U. of North Dakota. Forgot to mention, of course the offer to write will stand.

Last edited on Tue Oct 9th, 2007 10:20 pm by Daniel Sauerwein

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 01:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

Thank you, Daniel.

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

welcome to you newbies look foward to your post learning from you and with you.

Ole .. I thought deep fried puppy haunches tasted like chicken and went down better with ice cold Coke.

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 05:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm a bit disappointed with you all in that you missed the "ice cold Fresca" bit from a spoof on Hannibal Lechter.

ole

Current time is 08:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4067 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.