Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

To Make Men Free: A Novel of the Battle of Antietam - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 17th, 2005 01:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

To Make Men Free: A Novel of the Battle of Antietam by Richard Croker
Review by Michael Aubrecht, FLS Town & Country
Date published: 10/15/2005 CIVIL WAR

For most Civil War enthusiasts, September 17, 1862, will always be remembered as "The Bloodiest Day of the Civil War." This is the date of the Battle of Antietam, which marked Gen. Robert E. Lee's first attempt at an invasion of the North. More importantly, it is the date on which more soldiers were lost than any other day in American history.

Although they had been repeatedly successful in defending their own land from invasion, most high-ranking members of the Confederacy felt compelled to take the fight to the North. Many believed that one well-executed victory on Union soil would impress Britain or France enough to pledge their support to the Southern cause.

Gen. Lee believed this, as well, and moved his Army of Northern Virginia across the river into U.S. territory. To support the mission, he sent the majority of his army under Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson to Harpers Ferry, with orders to seize the area and open up supply routes to the Shenandoah Valley. This was a crucial step in establishing the "lifeline" that was required to maintain the Confederate army while they marched abroad on "foreign" soil. Lee then stationed the rest of his army at Sharpsburg, Md., near Antietam Creek. It was there that he was intercepted by an opposing force of 75,000 men under the command of Gen. George B. McClellan.

What followed was one of the most grotesque Civil War battles of all and before the sun would set over this once-beautiful farmland, more than 23,000 men would be killed, wounded or missing in action. Although many historians would consider the outcome indecisive, Antietam was ultimately a major success for the Union and led directly to President Lincoln's issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation.

It is with this backdrop that Richard Croker's "To Make Men Free: A Novel of the Battle of Antietam" is presented. Reading much like a movie script, Croker spends a great deal of time establishing his cast of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line. From the government in Washington, to their commanders and subordinates in the field, each member of the Union is depicted with all of his strengths and weaknesses. The same is portrayed on the Southern side as the Confederate chain of command also struggles with eccentric egos and personality conflicts in their own camp.

Throughout the story, we are introduced intimately to President Lincoln and his Cabinet, Union Gens. McClellan, Hooker and Burnside, Confederate Gens. Lee, Jackson, Longstreet and Stuart, and many other subsequent participants in the battle. As a result, with a glimpse of each major player, we are able to fully understand the internal conflicts that plagued each of them.

From the first line of the book, Croker immediately sets the stage for the devastation and suffering that is to follow. It reads: "A wagon filled with dismembered men rolled gently down Pennsylvania Avenue, the driver trying desperately not to jostle his fragile cargo." He then goes on to take the reader on a bittersweet journey while alternating back and forth between the fighting in the boardroom and on the battlefield. However, unlike the wagon driver, Croker has no qualms about jostling us, and his story line is filled with the horrors of war.

The plot of "To Make Men Free" unfolds on two fronts. The first takes place in the field as commanders on both sides attempt to seize the day and end the war. With a gripping account of the battle from start to finish, Croker depicts both the strategies and stresses of generals coordinating multiple engagements simultaneously. We are introduced to both major and minor participants of the battle and witness death and destruction through the eyes of soldiers, civilians and journalists.

The second takes place within the walls of the White House, where President Lincoln struggles with insubordination in his own Cabinet as well as that of Gen. McClellan, who is referred to as "Young Napoleon." Throughout the story, we are given insights into closed-door meetings and debates over the liberation of slaves. By presenting both the military and political aspects of the fight, the reader is provided with a complete overview of the state of the Union in 1862. Although the conflict would drag on for several more years, both Antietam and the Emancipation Proclamation changed the focus of the Civil War forever.

In an e-mail interview with me, Croker explained his intent. He stated, "To my way of thinking, history is not about divisions, brigades and regiments. History is about heroes. It's about colonels, captains and corporals. 'History as fiction' is the best way to tell these individual stories whether about Presidents or privates. (What writer worth his salt can pass up a good alliteration--or two--or three?) I spent years researching "To Make Men Free" and the history is as good as I could make it."

He added, "Ted Alexander, the chief historian at the Antietam National Battlefield Park, proofed the battle segments for accuracy prepublication. There are no fictitious characters or events (sorry, Rhett and Scarlett). This is just the story of the Emancipation Proclamation and the Battle of Antietam told as a story of devotion, courage and sacrifice on both sides."

The author's meticulous attention to detail shines through in this book, and his creative style makes it a very pleasurable read. I could hardly put it down, and it was far from a chore to read the 400-plus pages. After completing it, I felt that the book had both entertained and educated me. I now have a much better understanding of the events leading up to the Emancipation Proclamation and an even greater respect for the men who fought and died at Antietam.

As a bonus, Croker provides a thorough breakdown of characters and causes, detailed battlefield maps and a listing of references for students looking to further their studies. In addition, there is a complete biographical index that explains what will become of each major character.

Croker's next book, entitled "No Greater Courage; A Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg" (published by HarperCollins) will be available this March. I, for one, cannot wait to get my hands on a copy, as this story takes place in our own backyard.

For more information on "To Make Men Free," visit the author's Web site at rcroker.com.

Posted: Mon Oct 17th, 2005 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Thanks for the review. I love good historical fiction, and I think I'll be putting this one down on my Christmas list, as I've already gone over-budget on my book buying of late...so many books, so little time ;)

~KJ

Posted: Mon Oct 17th, 2005 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
GenHood

Mana: 

Thanks for the review, I just found this book at my local library and look forward to reading it.  I've been taking a break from non-fiction lately and  have just finished E.L. Doctorow's The March   and Widow of the South by Robert Hicks.  I enjoyed reading both books, but The March had too many characters and therefore I couldn't really gain a feeling for any of them.  I much preferred Sherman's March a novel by Cynthia Bass for a fictional treatment of the Georgia and Carolinas campaign.  Widow of the South   I liked quite a bit, it made me feel that I knew the McGavock family and paid a great tribute to Carrie McGavock.  However, I was a little put off by the love Carrie Felt for the fictional Arkansas soldier portrayed in the book.  It seemed that maybe Mr. Hicks wanted to paint her in an unhappy marriage, and placed John McGavock as a typical slave holder who once had sexual relations with a young slave woman on a relative's plantation.  Did these things really happen?  If so, then I have no problem with them.  If they are artistic license to make the story more "interesting" I don't much care for their inclusion.  Overall, though, I prefer Howard Bahr's The Black Flower  for a fictional work on the battle of Franklin.   Anyway, my two cents on a couple of recent books, and a thank you for reviewing this newer title. 

You have chosen to ignore rickadams. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2006 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I agree the relationship thrown in with the fictional soldier was not needed.  It stood out in an otherwise really good book.  I was so bad, a friend won this book Widow of the South , in a raffle at our Round Table.  Since he had one of my books he hadn't returned or finished reading yet I conned him out of loaning it to me before he had a chance to read it.  The goodnew is he not only loaned it to me and I got to read it, He read and returned the book he had that he borrowed last April!!

Two books I found interesting over Christmas vacation were God Rest Ye Merry, Soldiers, A True Civil War Christmas Story by James McIvor.  It is mainly the story of Murfreesboro/Stones River .  It does tell the story of the two camps before the battle exchanging songs back and forth .  Fast read, tiny book Does also have a review of what Christmas was like in 1862 and compares it with 1861.  Some good Civil War period poems too.

The second book isn't Civil War but related.  Oh What A Slaughter, by Larry McMurtry. Another thin book  It deals with Massacres in the American West 1846-1890.  It deals with those soldiers we meet in the Civil War.  Then too there is Sand Creek . 

It mainly deals with Sand Creek Wounded Knee and Mountain Meadow .  Interesting book.  Give them both a read . 

Current time is 06:17 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2686 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.