Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Important New Book Just Released - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 08:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks,

Here at CWi, we receive numerous Civil War books to review every week. We also receive a fair number of what are called "galley proofs", which are pre-publication drafts sent with the hope that we will supply testimonials (or "blurbs") to be used on either the back cover of the book, or on the publishers website. We've all seen them. Some authors, historians and publications seem to take great pride in the number of "blurbs" they supply. We take the opposite approach. 99% of the time, we refuse to supply such testimonials. Laurie agreed to do it once for a Civil War Cookbook she thought was exceptional. Up till now, I never agreed to do it.

However, a little less than a year ago, I received a galley of a new, unknown edition of a Civil War classic, which also happened to be my all-time favorite Civil War book. The minute I saw it, I knew that when released, it would create quite a buzz in the Civil War community. It is not just a re-print (It's been re-printed scores of times.) It is a new expanded edition, never before published, done by the original author. Tomorrow is its official release date. So I'm thrilled that you will find a blurb from yours truly on the back cover, along with Ken Burns, Edwin Bearrs, James Lee McDonough and William C. Davis. So we're pleased to be the first to give a full review of a new edition of a Civil War classic.....

READ THE REVIEW

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 01:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Good review Javal sounds like a great book.

If you had to guess, what percentage of the original book is subtracted and added by this edition?

Any startling changes other than already noted in your review?

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 02:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David,

Many thanks. If I had to guess the percentage (and it would be a guess) I'd have to say somewhere between 25-35% And yes, there are many other intriguing additions. As I said in the review, I found what he was going to delete just as interesting as what he added. Lots of people who own the first edition may decide to pass on this one - I think that would be a mistake.

BTW - did you get the review book I sent?

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

I did get it Javal, things have been hectic and I've got family coming in for Thanksgiving so I probably won't have a review until early December.  Besides, it is a tedious read, which I'll probably elaborate on in my review.

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 02:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wasn't hurrying you, just wanted to be sure it arrived. December's fine since I'll probably hold it till the new site opens. Want to open it with fresh content anyway.

Current time is 07:02 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3106 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.