Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Rumors - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 07:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I have heard two rumors one concerning Lincoln and the other General Lee. I heard that Lincoln was psychic. A lot of people have said that he knew about the war when he was a child, and he knew that Lee was going to surrender. Another part of it goes that Lincoln knew when he was going to die and who was going to kill him.

The rumor about Lee is that he had several mistresses during the war. I have also heard that he had more children than the seven he had with his wife. I doubt that these are true but has anyone else heard these?

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

The top 10 rumors about Abraham Lincoln:

1) He invented the Internet

2) He wore a stove-pipe hat because his hair is really more poofy than Lyle Lovett's hair

3) Gen. McLellan hid his un-used army in Licoln's hat, but didn't tell him. Frequently, "Little Mac" over-estimated Lincoln's hat size.

4) Lincoln was really 3'2" tall, but wore "lifts" in his shoes.

5) He faked his death in order to re-record "Lorena" as "Love Me Tender".

6) He stole his jokes from Milton Berle.

7) He actually practiced law without a license, becomming the basis for the character of "Everett" (George Clooney) in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

8) He thought the Black Hawk War was a fight between a Chicago hockey team and the Canadians.

9) Thought he should be on the $10,000 bill, and Salmon Chase on the $5 bill.

10)  In regards to going to Ford's Theater, he told his wife "I need to see "Our American Cousin" like I need a hole in the head!"

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 09:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I must say that those are some of the stupidest rumors I've ever heard and I have heard some stupid rumors before. Number 10 is just to funny.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 09:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Sorry double posted. I really dont believe that someone could have hair poofier than Lyle Lovett but then stranger things have happened

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 09:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

The Lincoln as a psychic crap (sorry, that's what I consider it) is floating around because yet another author has written another book called "The Psychic Life of Abraham Lincoln" . Wannabe authors have recently decided to just make stuff up if they feel it'll get 'em a headline or two. Check today's CWi news - I think there's a story about the book. It's the new doctrine of some author's - "insert crack-pot theory here, no proof required".

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

It's all right I think the psychic stuff is crap to. ( sorry to those who believe in it) but it is crap

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

The worst that can probably be said of Lee is that he enjoyed flirting.

In Elizabeth Brown Pryor's book, 'Reading the Man,' she writes: "The ladies noticed Lee, and he was definitely looking back. 'I have met them in no place, in no garb, in no situation that I did not feel my heart open to them like, like the flower to the sun,' he wrote while praising the girls of St. Louis to his buddy Jack MacKay. He became enamored of MacKay's five sisters on his first posting near their hometown of Savannah, and it was hard to tell whether he was more smitten by Eliza or Margaret or Miss Catherine, to whom he wrote such tempting little notes. Tell them, he told Jack, 'I am famishing for a sight of them. The idea alone thrusts through my heart, like the neigh of my blooded stallion.' Some have speculated that he was in love with with more than one of the MacKay girls and offered himself in marriage, but was rebuffed. He took care to reassure Mary that his interest was based solely on lighthearted friendship, however, and that being with the MacKay girls only made his heart long for her (Mary). 'Or do you suppose that because I sometimes see others, it is them I think of, even when with them,' he challenged, '& that it does not make me more lament for my hard fortune in being so far away?'

"Nonetheless, his was an expansive heart, and he rarely limited himself to just one flirtation. 'As for the daughters of Eve in this country,' Lee told Jack the year after he left Savannah, 'they are formed in the very poetry of nature and would make your lips water and your fingers tingle.' He liked to watch the young women uncover their limbs for sea bathing and was much taken by the short skirts of the Mexican girls he met during the war. He had a clear preference for brunettes, and all of his sweethearts boasted the dark eyes and hair of his wife — and mother.

'He loved to flirt. Addressing his darlings with the flatteringly possessive 'my beautiful,' he easily launched into teasing repartee. 'I wish you were here for I am all alone...' Lee wrote to 'My beautiful Tasy,' the daughter of his St. Louis colleague William Beaumont, proceeding to tell her that he had caught his son creeping into a young lady's bed. 'You must have taught him these tricks, Tasy,' he impudently concluded, 'for he never learnt them from his father.'"

Some things never change.

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2007 01:57 am by PvtClewell

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Who doesn't enjoy flirting? I can understand how a man surrounded by other men during a war could get lonely. But I can't see a honorable man such as Lee having a full blown affair. If every body with the name Lee is his decendants (which is seriously doubtful) they would have one interesting (um...... how should I put it) family histoy.

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

I also doubt that Lincoln was a psychic: a few reported premonitions (note that I didn't say "recorded") do not a psychic make.

I'm also of the opinion that he was not that strong a "Christian man." He most certainly believed in a creator, but that would make him a deist. And I suspect he liberally sprinkled his speeches with references partly to play to the crowd. (We might have different definitions.)

ole

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
20th_Mass

Mana: 

I once heard that Lincoln had been diagnosed with a fatal disease and that may be the roots of the "premination of his death" rumor. Then again that is a rumor to so who knows.

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

20th_MA-

There was much conjecture in the 20th Century that Mr. Lincoln suffered from Marfan Syndrome. (Dr. Marfan did not describe the condition until 30 years after Lincoln's death).

In recent years, this conjecture has been somewhat discredited. At this point in history, we will probably never know.

Marfan syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(See "Spurious or conjectural claims.")

Last edited on Mon Apr 28th, 2008 07:04 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Sgt. Ramsey

Mana: 

I believe the psychic stories have as much to do with Victorian sensibility as truth. Many soldier’s journals of the era report some sort of precognition. If psychic abilities were real it would mean that the future is set, and free choice is the myth.

Agree with Ole about Lincoln being more deist than Christian, consistent with many of our nations early leaders.

Sgt. Ramsey

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Sgt. Ramsey

Mana: 

I believe the psychic stories have as much to do with Victorian sensibility as truth. Many soldier’s journals of the era report some sort of precognition. If psychic abilities were real it would mean that the future is set, and free choice is the myth.

Agree with Ole about Lincoln being more deist than Christian, consistent with many of our nations early leaders.

Sgt. Ramsey

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 10:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Maybe the confusion is with Mary Todd who did have numerous psychic "parties" of which Sickles attended.

Doc C

Current time is 09:39 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3619 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 29 queries executed.