Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Pilgrims Landing - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 08:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

I was looking at my calendar and seen FRI DEC 19 1620 Pilgrim landing and did a Google search and happened upon a good little article I thought I would share.

http://donferry.wordpress.com/2007/11/22/pilgrims-progress-3/

Only one question it says

"On her first 300 nautical miles, the Speedwell developed engine trouble twice. The first breakdown required it to dock at Dartmouth for repairs, but the second forced it to sail back to Southampton, where it was abandoned. "

Thought the only motors boats had back in 1620 would be sails ?? Are we talking about Steam power here?

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 08:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

found this on Wikipedia which I have heard is untrustworthy anyone know the facts?

"The two ships began the voyage on August 5, 1620, but the Speedwell was leaky and returned to Dartmouth to be refitted at great expense and time. On the second attempt, Mayflower and Speedwell sailed about 100 leagues beyond Land's End in Cornwall, but the Speedwell was again found to be leaky. Both vessels returned to Plymouth where the Speedwell was sold.

It would later be revealed that there was in fact nothing wrong with the ship. The crew had sabotaged it in order to escape the year long commitment of their contract."

That means to me leaking hull not engine trouble. Sneaky dont know if i would risk messing with a ship in the middle of the ocean just to get out of some rent money .

read four other sites that say leaky hull too so first must need to check facts , first significant steam engine I  find is 1698 by Thomas Savery.

Last edited on Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 08:41 pm by younglobo

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 02:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

I'll double-dog guarantee that it wasn't engine trouble. You can go into wikipedia and edit out that reference. Suspect that someone playfully edited it in. Which is why you can't count on wikipedia.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/History/voyage_secondary.php

This website describes the departure of the Mayflower and Speedwell. It mentions the leaking Speedwell . Also says only 20 passengers decided not to continued the voyage. The rest boarded the Mayflower.
Know it did not have engine trouble and doubt the sabotage. It was an old boat. It leaked .
Susan

Current time is 03:56 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3095 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.