Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

In memory of.... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2005 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

STEPHEN DYER WAKEFIELD, 53, of Memphis, formerly of Terre Haute, IN, passed away Saturday, October 29, 2005 at Select Specialty Hospital in Memphis. Funeral mass will be said 11 a.m. Tuesday, November 1, at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 3700 Thomas St., with interment to follow at 2:30 p.m. in Antioch Cemetery in Hornbeak, TN. Mr. Wakefield was a labor/employment attorney with Wyatt, Tarrant and Combs. He was a member of the Trial Attorneys Association, and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Attorneys. He attended West Point, and he was a graduate of the University of Indiana School of Law where he was Phi Beta Kappa. He was also a member of Cleburnes Civil War Historical Group. He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Marsha; his daughter, Jenny and her husband, Donny; his brother, R.V. Wakefield, and his mother-in-law, Jennie Davis. The family requests memorial contributions, in lieu of flowers, to Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church. Memphis Funeral Home Poplar Chapel 901-725-0100

Folks, as we get on in life, we lose friends... it's a given. But once in awhile the wounds drive deeper than usual. This one is tearing me up. Steve - aka AoT - was a cherished soul and we considered it an honor to call him friend. There are some here that will remember our time together in 1999, at our first muster. AoT gave us a tour of Shiloh that I have never forgotten.

He handled the final stages of his life with dignity and even nobility. I know many of you didn't know him. Trust me when I say that that is your loss. One of the last times I saw him he was dancing away with another friend in some bar in Chattanooga, as we all laughed and drank way too much. He was a friend to us, and to the community we have here. He will be sorely missed.

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2005 09:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Cap

Mana: 

I am so sorry to hear this news. We had hoped to meet him in person some day.  In speaking with him one night in the Chatroom, we learned that as a youth he once lived several miles from where I currently live which led to a lengthy conversation.

He made everyone feel welcome in the room and his knowledge of the CW was unbelievable.

Cap

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2005 10:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
amhistoryguy

Mana: 

While we mourn our loss, I can't help but think of AoT being greeted by his Civil War heroes, and his immediate acceptance by them, as one of them. AoT fought his own battle, displaying courage, dignity, and resolve, and to the end, always on the lookout for how he could make life better for others. I feel grateful for having known him even for a short while, and feel great loss at never having had the opportunity to meet him in person.

"The muffled drums sad roll has beat
The soldiers last tatoo;
No more on life's parade shall meet
That brave and fallen few.
On fames eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards, with solemn round,
The bivouac of the dead.

No rumor of the foe's advance
Now swells upon the wind,
No troubled thought at midnight haunts
Of loved ones left behind;
No vision of the morrow's strife
The warrior's dream alarms;
No braying horn nor screaming fife
at dawn shall call to arms.

Their shivered swords are red with rust;
Their plumed heads are bowed
Their haughty banner, trailed with dust,
is now their martial shroud.
And plenteous funeral tears have washed
The red stains from each brow,
And the proud forms, by battle gashed,
Are free from anguish now.

'Twas in that hour his stern command
Called to many a martyr's grave
The flower of his beloved land,
The nations flag to wave."

--- Theodore O'Hara

Dave Gorski

Posted: Wed Nov 2nd, 2005 05:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Just wanted to echo what Javal posted in here.  A very sad day here in the Garden State, and for those who did not get a chance to meet Steve, boy did you miss out.

Steve was our tour guide for 2 musters, 1999 at Shiloh, and 2001 at Chickamauga.  He was a walking encyclopedia of knowledge, and did his tours without any notes, and yet could talk about those fields many hours at a time, as he did so eloquently.

Steve also possessed a great sense of humor, and cracked me up all the time when we were together.  Guess my fondest memory of him, is sitting in his hotel room with various other members of the chat room after his tour of Chickamauga, and just having a few cold beers and talking about all sorts of things.

To those who did not meet him, I feel sorry that you did not have the chance, as he was incredible, and a huge part of our family.  To those who did meet him, while we all feel terrible that he is no longer with us, am glad we all have our memories of spending time with him.

Am honored to have known him, and am blessed that he was my friend.

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Nov 2nd, 2005 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
GenHood

Mana: 

Accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.  From your words he sounds like an interesting, fun, and caring person.  Losing those close to us is tough, but keep their memories close and they are always with us.  Again, my sincerest blessings to those of you who lost a friend.

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2005 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Margana

Mana: 

I had talked to Steve since being a part of Henry's chatroom way back when.  I just never thought of this happening, somehow.  So sad.  I picture him at some bar downing Jack Daniels with Shelby Foote.........  My condolences to the family, please.

Current time is 02:11 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4220 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 26 queries executed.