Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

More figures - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 08:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thought you might like to see these. This is something a little different. They are 2D figures made from metal. They originated in 19th Century Germany as childrens toys.

Here's a link to a better description than I can give,:D

http://www.flats-zinnfiguren.com/contents1.html

There are quite a few modern sculptors of these mainly in Germany and the trick is to make them look 3D:? 

Anyway here they are:

Roger

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 08:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

I can admire your attention to detail, Roger. The whole thing escapes me. It took me two months to get around to installing a new kitchen faucet, And when I did, to remedy another a small leak, another two weeks to get around to fixing it.

The interest and personal dedication it must take to do such miniatures escapes me. Keep 'em coming trooper; I'll admire them, but I know I will not gather the resolve to even begin to emulate.

ole

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 08:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you very much ole, I appreciate your comments.

As you can imagine with a hobby like his trivial household chores like fixing kitchen faucets (you mean tap right:D) are waaaaay down on the list of priorities much to my wifes annoyance.

Thanks again,

Roger 

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 09:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

I don't know how you handle the wife's annoyance, Roger, but I find it to my advantage not to irritate her overmuch. I can get away with some procrastination, and she pretends to believe many of my excuses, but when the last hand is dealt, I lose.

In this part of thia country, a tap is the one outside connected to the garden hose. In the kitchen or bath, it is a faucet. But y'all have things like bonnets and boots and spanners. And lifts, and knocking one up on the phone. Quaint. In other parts of this country, they can be equally quaint. "Tonic" is the word for pop in New England. And they say things like "elastics" for rubber bands, and "tablets" for note pads. Vive la difference.

But we can all agree that your work on 57mm figures is most interesting and enjoyable.

ole

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 10:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

ole, my wife has suggested a number of times I see a Doctor about my "deafness". I've not been yet, I don't want to waste his valuable time or get fitted for a hearing aid I don't need:D I know where the line is but still keeping sticking my toes over to see if it's moved.... it hasn't.

As for the language differences, it's all part of the attraction of the forum. There's nothing like a bit of good natured banter. It appeals to my sense of humour, sorry humor:P.

Roger

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 10:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

I know where the line is but still keeping sticking my toes over to see if it's moved.... it hasn't.

And if yours is anything like mine, you haven't lost all of them -- just enough to keep you honest.

ole

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 10:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Dead right!!

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 06:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

Dead right!!
Haven't dared cross the line far enough to test that theory.;)

ole

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 05:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

These are AWESOME Roger!!!!! Keep up the good work. These guys look like they are deep in thought. Maybe its about their women at home

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 05:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you DixieGirl. I have a Confederate standardbearer to go with these two but I haven't started that one yet. I have a feeling you'll like it.:D

Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I am very taken with these, Roger.  I'm forwarding the pictures along to German-American CW-buff friends of mine: I think they will be quite delighted with them.

"As you can imagine with a hobby like his trivial household chores like fixing kitchen faucets (you mean tap right:D) are waaaaay down on the list of priorities much to my wifes annoyance."

Have you considered going pro?  I don't know much about mini's and the market for them, but you seem to have a singular talent, and I guessing that, once you found the right market, you could sell them for a pretty penny.  And, that people whom would normally not purchase figures would buy yours simply for the artwork.  Then, you could hire a handyman, send your wife out shopping, and continue merrily on your way, doing more of them!

I know that if they were within my budget, I would certainly purchase some!  And display them proudly.

Joanie

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Joanie, have to blsme the Chinese & Russians... they work cheap & in volume mass producing & painting. St Petersburg figurines are painted by the same people that do the faberge eggs and another outfit does similar work out of China. And I believe I heard a rumor at Gen Con that GW workshop (of Warhammer 40k fame) has contracted w/ a Chinese company to paint their minis and they will start selling prepainted minis this fall.

I made some decent $ in college painting minis but it was nothing more than a supplement to my other two jobs. Helped raise beer money and pay the rent though. I too believe Roger's work is of the professional quality but the competition is ferocious.

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks Joanie. Johan has summed it up pretty well and is bang on.
I've accepted commisions on a couple of occasions, from the USA funnily enough, but it's just a hobby. I don't think I would enjoy it or paint as well if there were deadlines etc.
I paint what interests me and I hope it shows in my work. At the moment Sears and Rhea are my greatest influences.

Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I am grateful for the insightful replies, Johann and Roger.

I misspoke myself when I said that "I don't know much" about mini's and their market.  Actually, I know nothing.  I occassionally assisted doing wet-plate photography in G-Burg over busy holiday weekends, and saw mini's being sold in some of the establihed shops, but they were nothing like these.  They were just toy-soldier-ish; things that uniform buffs got for the uniforms, and not what I'd consider "art".  Until just recently, and thanks to your postings here at CWi, I had no idea that these could be such awesome pieces of art.

Seriously, people whom paint the Fabrege eggs work on CW mini's, too????  Well, no matter how skilled, I cannot imagine that such artisians would have the depth of understanding or originality that both of you, Roger and Johann, possess.  "Mass-produced" says it all.  You two gents are creating highly individual works of art, the kind that should be signed by the artist.

Roger, I was envisioning someone proudly showing off his displayed figure, and bragging, "It's an original Roger-the-British-Seaman" or whatever artiste's name you would sign with....

Last edited on Thu Jan 24th, 2008 08:02 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 08:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Joanie, stop right now while I can still get my head out the door:D

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 09:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Joanie, do a net search for St Petersburg minis. The work is increadible and consistant from one mini to the next. They have a lot more than just CW era. A couple years ago I bought my father a Grant mini intending to get him a Sherman the next year but I couldn't find him. So he had to settle for a blacksmith I painted up... I'm proud to say I don't think he was disappointed.

Current time is 12:28 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2539 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.