Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

I've just finished reading this for the third time, and I've got to say, I love this book. Coddington gives a detailed description of the campaign, and I was engrossed the whole way through. The only things I felt were a bit lacking are the maps and pictures. The maps are not as easy to follow as other maps I've seen. I felt that the maps in Sears's book were much better. The same goes for the pictures. In Coddington's book, the pictures are rather blurry, and of some of the poorest quality I've seen. The pictures in Sears's book are much clearer, and Sears has a lot more than Coddington's. Other than that, I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Gettysburg Campaign. I tell people it's the best $26.00 I've ever spent.

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 05:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Coddington's book is a good reference and many, if not all, the Gettysburg LBG's used it for their exams among the myriad of other texts. I'm just finishing it also for the 3rd time. However, Coddington's book lacks the detail that Pfanz's volumes have, if one is interested in the battle on the regimental and brigade level.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

i agree Codington's maps leave a great deal to be desired. Found it easier having Gottfrieds Maps of Gettysburg open while reading Coddington. Has anyone seen Gottfrieds - Artillery of GB? I have his map and brigade books on GB.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

I'm studying Coddington rigorously, along with various other texts, to prepare myself for the LBG tests. Does anyone know the minimum age for those tests?

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 11:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Lawrence

Don't know if you've been to the GBLBG site. The web site doesn't mention minimum age but it does list contact information. See if this helps.

http://www.gettysburgtourguides.org

Lot's of luck with your endeavor. It's really been enjoyable studying for the test. None of the pressure that I had on me when I was studying for my medical boards. Haven't decided yet to as to if I'm going to take my last board exam ever, recertification in neonatology.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 12:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Thanks Doc. I'll definitely check that out.

Current time is 08:35 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3166 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.