Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Dirt Eater - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

rodent like dogs.....well!!!! they dont look like rats, their cute. as Joanie said we are doin our best cause we are simple people.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 03:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

I just logged on and have had the best laugh in a long time.

But, PvtClewell, I never heard of mixing dirt with silt and peat and serving it on an oyster shell. When I was little, we mixed dirt with grass and served it on maple leaves. Must be a regional thing.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 06:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"When I was little, we mixed dirt with grass and served it on maple leaves."

Ah, the traditional recipe!  Perfect at Thanksgiving, when the leaves are nice and crispsy and have a festive mottled red hue.  I find sugar maple leaves are best for size, color, and flavor.  The addition of crunchy little acorn "hats" is pleasing to the eye and palate. 

As for laughing, I think the "groan" one-liners were exceptional.  My little acorn hat is off to all whom contributed to those.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 11:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

'As for laughing, I think the "groan" one-liners were exceptional. My little acorn hat is off to all whom contributed to those.'

I agree, Joanie. This thread on dirt has proved to be very fertile.

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 03:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Oh, Private Clewell,

This segues (sp?) into my favorite pun of all-time.  Oscar Wilde's pun on "horticulture".

According to some accounts, it actually came from a challenge at a party - to Oscar Wilde - that he could not pun off of any word given him in the moment.  He agreed, and thus the word "horticulture" was set forth for him to pun off of.

There is a reason that this is my favorite pun. I was able to spew it at a critical moment, in my undergraduate youth.  And seriously, the story of my spewing it starts out like a joke, but really happened, I swear!:

Once a young Texan English Professor, a young English Professor from Oxford University, and a young German "Herr-Doctor-Professor", were all at a formal recruiting dinner together, for the purpose of wooing each to apply for a new post at an established university...of course, I was there, performing the part of a bright young female student.  Much money had been expended to bringing these three, and few others, in, for wooing.

Well, I leave you to wonder about the rest of the story. 

I'm sure someone knows Oscar Wilde's (according to legend) immediate response....

If Y'All come up with it, I may tell you the rest of the story.

If you are smart, you won't, as it is one of those funny remincences that bore others to tears....

Last edited on Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:11 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 03:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Joanie,

If it's the "you can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" that was said by Dorothy Parker, not Oscar Wilde. If it isn't, I don't have any idea what he said.

Concerning my wife's cooking, this woman once burned soup...do you have any idea how hard it is to burn soup?

Best
Rob

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

its pretty hard to burn soup. ive never done it but then i have been cooking since i was 8 so ive had some practice

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Booklover,

Ah - see how little I questioned in my youth? Totally swallowed the Oscar Wilde story, never questioned it!

Now I have to tell you the rest of the story - funniest party I ever went to - what happens when a lot of nervous acedemics on their best behavior just decide to get drunk and cut loose.

Well, I'll get to it....

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 05:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hmmmm, depends on the soup - some CAN be burned. Cream-based ones come to mind. Need lots of stirring. But, somehow I'm guessing that your wife was more the "Cambell's soup" type than the "go to the farmer's market and cook a pot from scratch" type.

Every time I think of a certain person in my life, I go listen to Atreyu's "Exes and Oh's" 10 times on fullfullfull go-to-eleven volume. It seems to help. Most people are too civilized for such behavior, but not me, LOL!

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Joanie,

You are correct. The only time she ever tried to make soup "from scratch" (scratch being frozen vegetables...not necessarily against the law but still not as good as fresh) she left out any type of broth. It was too thick to even be called stew. Don't get me started about her gravy...

Best
Rob

Current time is 08:19 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3592 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 25 queries executed.