Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

IMA P1853 Enfield - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 13th, 2008 10:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Here is the P1853 (type II) Enfield I bought from International Military Antiques, in "uncleaned, as found, untouched" condition. It cleaned up great, and is safe to shoot, too! The cartridge box and cap pouch came from "Butternuts & Bluecoats"; the bayonet, scabbard, and frog, as well as the nipple protector, came from "Blockade Runner", and the Parker-Hale style "sergeant's tool" came from "Track of the Wolf".

Can anybody read Nepali? I'd love to know what the inscriptions on the barrel tang and triggerguard say. I've only been able to translate the numbers "4 2 / 4", on th rear of the triggerguard, on the lockplate, and on the stock.

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2008 07:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Yaatri

Mana: 

The characters shown are Devanagari characters. What makes you think it's Nepali. The language of Nepal is called Gorkhali and is written in Devanagari script, which is used for any Indian languages such as Hindi, Sanskrit, Marathi etc.

You did decipher the numerals correctly but you wrote them backwards. It's understandable as the rendering is upside down.

As best as I can, here are my best transliterations possibilities
R 2 C 39 4/24 or
R 2 C E9 4/24

R is equivalent consonnnt that represents the Ra sound
and C the equivalent of "See". There character that I have transliterated as 3 or E because the numeral 3 can also look like the vowel sound of "i" as in ink or kip.
The characters could be a combination of the owner's initials in Devanagari or some regimental number or his regimental serial number in Alphanumeric form.

Best Reagrds

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2008 10:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Ask, and ye shall recieve. Who'd thunk?

ole

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2008 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Nice type 2 Enfield, indicitive of those British Army service during the period. There weren't too many in the US during the War, those that were would have most likely have been in CS service, IIRC Georgia had a few. Also quite a few Windsor (US made)were in the country from a Crimea War contract that the UK cancelled. Most ended up on the market w/ quite a few States and private militia companies gobbling them up. Depending upon what source you read the Windsor Type 2 Enfields were either the best or worst Enfields made.

Judging from the specimens I've seen you got a VERY good deal in relation to condition.

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 10:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Thanks! I've since had it re-worked by Todd Watts at The Blockade Runner, replacing the Gurkha markings with ones that would be appropriate to an early Birmingham (pre-BSAT) gun, so I can use it for re-enactments. He did a WONDERFUL job! I don't feel bad about the alterations, as the gun has little collector value (it only cost me $240.00 in the first place!), and with the extra work I have as much into it - and possibly even less - than a NON-defarbed Italian replica. I even have a properly marked and fitted bayonet to go with it.

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 08:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

Seriously. Where else can you talk about a Nepalese musket and get a hit from someone who knows the language? This internet thingy is amazing.
Ole

Current time is 10:08 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3217 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.