Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Massard Prairie - Other Eastern Theater - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 17th, 2008 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
deidreconine

Mana: 

I am doing some family research and came across an ancestor who died in Prairie, Arkansas in 1864. It sparked up some interest in The Battle of Massard Prairie. Now I know that it was a Confederate victory and that it had relatively few casualties (which almost makes me sure that this ancestor did not die in this battle, especially since we dont even know if he fought in the war at all), but I would love to know more about this battle. I just cant seem to find anything on it!!!

Posted: Sat May 17th, 2008 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Deidreconine-

A simple Google search brings up many websites explaining this battle. Here is one example:

ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Battle of Massard Prairie, Arkansas

If you prefer a book on the subject:

Civil War Books and Authors: "The Battle of Massard Prairie" release

Posted: Sat May 17th, 2008 01:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Reading the description of the book, I was amazed to learn that this battle saw one of the few known scalping incidents by Union soldiers in the entire Civil War! That was an unexpected surprise, especially because Union troops did the scalping but  Native American Confederate soldiers fought at this battle. That would be the reverse of what one would stereotypically picture. The entire sordid event really staggers my imagination.

The book sounds very interesting but it would just be one more in my list of books to read. I'm going to have to live to 150 to keep up with all the fascinating reading on the Civil War.

Current time is 07:51 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2934 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.