Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Introductions - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jun 1st, 2008 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
izzy

Mana: 

Hello!  I'm new to discussion boards and a newby to the Civil War.  I moved from PA to Western North Carolina in 2000.  I have gotten interested in the CW in the last few years and have been traveling to various battlefields to begin to get a grip on the CW.  I should rather say that I am beginning to get a grip on the enormity of it.  I find there is no limit to it in any direction I look.  I think I have fallen into an abyss.  It is bottomless but Oh so interesting.

I have been keeping an eye on this board for about a year now and have CWi as my homepage.  This website has been a wonderful resource.

This year alone I have toured the Mobile Bay AL sites, travelled to Nashville TN for a symposium on Occupied Nashville, toured the first day of Stones River, took a 3 day tour of the NC Coastal Defenses with my local CW Roundtable, took a 2 week driving tour of the TransMississippi and attended the CWPT convention, and most recently toured Wildcat Mountain in KY.  If I have to travel anywhere, I try to find a CW site(s) to see as well.  I think it has become an addiction.  Correction, I know it has become an addiction.

Next Feb or March I am returning to visit my parents on the Gulf coast in southern AL.  I think I will drive through and tour Mississippi on my way there.  I have previously toured Parkers Crossroads, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg and the battles of Champion Hill and the Big Black River Bridge.  Any suggestions on sites I should see as I drive down through the state?   I hope I can still afford the gas bill for such a trip.

Izzy

Posted: Sun Jun 1st, 2008 08:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

izzy,

We love people eho have CWi as their homepage! Welcome to the board.

Posted: Mon Jun 2nd, 2008 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Ah, you love me, you really do love me ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Welcome to the group, Izzy...You won't find a better group of people than those here...Enjoy your explorations into the history of the war.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

good to have you on here Izzy.

very interesting name.....i like it

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 06:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Hi Izzy.

"I think I have fallen into an abyss. It is bottomless but Oh so interesting."

Heh - I like that description of the subject. Might steal it for my own use, if that's ok.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 12:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Thanks for the welcome Y'all (my new Southern accent)!

Dixie Girl,  Izzy is short for Isabel.

Kernow-Ox, go right ahead and 'steal the abyss'.  I have no claim to it since it seems we have all fallen in.

I forget who it was that was looking for a way to organize the war into managable subtopics.  I can only say, "Lots of luck pal.  So am I."

Since I have absolutely no military background, I find the size of companies, battalions, brigades, corps, etc, hard to picture in my mind.  In fact all the 'military vocabulary, weaponry, etc' has been a major problem for me to get a grip on.  I find that going to the battlefields and museums has been an enormous help in putting everything into scale.  All the books I have read do not do justice to seeing the actual battlefields.

In fact I feel as though I am back in college.  The amount of preparation in research and reading before I even get out the door has been tough to keep up with.  I also find myself looking for books that contain driving tours and good tactical maps of the battlefield.   For example, the Spruill book on the Battle of Stones River is an excellent driving tour resource and I scheduled at trip to the battlefield because of the book.  (By the way, the only time to do a driving tour of a battlefield in an urban setting is from dawn to about noon on a Sunday.  Otherwise I find that I tend to get run over by other drivers.)  

Wittenberg/Petruzzi also tend to put driving tours into their books.  I'm champing at the bit to go on the driving tour of Jeb Stuart's ride to Gettysburg as well as Lee's retreat.  I lived in Warrenton VA for a year before I moved to WNC.  I was not interested in the ACW at that time.  I could just kill myself now for all the missed opportunities I had to look over that area of the war.  Oh well.

Izzy

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 01:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Welcome Izzy,
I am sure you will enjoy this site as much as we will enjoy you being here.
What part of PA did you live in before the move? The 145th Anniversary Reenactment would make a nice time to visit friends (July 4, 5, and 6 I THINK) if you are anywhere near Gettysburg. Hey-nice time to visit even if you are not too close!
But welcome and look forward talking with you!
Devils Den

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 05:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Hello Devils Den,

I am from the Pittsburgh PA area.  Actually about an hour east in the Laurel Mountains.  I will be visiting family in PA in August. I don't know if I will have the energy to go battlefield trekking, too.  Every time I go home, I am obligated to go visit every single person I ever knew there.  It's exhausting.  I usually go up through WVA rather than take I-81 all the way north to PA.  I find it is better to keep family reunion trips separate from battlefield trips.  I don't have the energy to do both.

I've been to Gettysburg a couple of times.  My CW Roundtable took a trip up there a few years ago.  It is always an interesting battlefield as well as one of the most beautiful to visit.  Except for that trip to Gettysburg, our Roundtable has been concentrating on the Western Theater.  I still have not been to Fredericksburg or Richmond, etc, and have not toured any of the Overland Campaign yet.  Next spring our Roundtable is planning to do the Seven Days Battles.  It seems odd that I have essentially started studying the war from the west to the east.

Thanks for the heads up on the Gettysburg reenactment this July.  Unfortunately I need to stay home for a couple of months and tend to projects here.  I will keep the reenactment in mind for future trips.

Izzy

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Jun 6th, 2008 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
izzy

Mana: 

JDC Duncan,  I go for the intellectual side in all things.  I'm not a brain, but like a moth to the flame, I end up with my nose in a book.  I prefer non-fiction although occasionally I will read fiction.  I have limited bookshelf space so I have to limit my purchases.  Right now I am in the travel mode so I study about the CW where I am going. 

I have several older folks that are going to need more attention and care in the near future.  Meanwhile I am on a marathon mission to get out and see as much as possible before I get grounded by the duties of eldercare again.

I doubt I will ever reenact.  I have worked out on the farm all my life and am now tired of being outdoors all the time.  I sunburn badly and get sun poisoning quickly now.  Those days are over.  I leave the reenacting to you and others.  It is a great educational service.  I appreciate the effort that goes into it but it is not for me. 

However, come to think of it, I do love guns.  That 12 gauge shotgun I had beat the H out of me but it sure was fun shooting 'trap'.  I had a 357 magnum too.  Loved it.

izzy

Current time is 01:26 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1929 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 27 queries executed.