Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Ft. Monroe - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jun 1st, 2008 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Very glad to hear about ongoing efforts to preserve Fort Monroe.  Always loved to visit there and was concerned what could happen when the army pulled out.  I think it is a very interesting part of CW history and encourage eveyone to check it out if you haven't been there.

An extra is the pet cemetary on top of the ramparts.  To me it is like a record of the families that called the fort home over the decades.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 04:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Nita,

I was at Fort Monroe last fall.  I loved it .  I would hate to see it disappear. It is an amazing place.  The casement museum is so interesting .  Cannot believe Egar Allan Poe was stationed there as well as Fort Moultrie.  So much history in the site.  I would hope that it becomes a museum of sorts. 

Susan

P.S. tell Tom the Cal 100 was out in force this week end at Long Beach reeactment.  They looked fine in their uniforms .  It was a very good first reenactment for Long Beach.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 06:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Will tell him!
The whole area surrounding the actual fort, could be used in such a good way.
Glad you enjoyed your visit there also. I had forgot about Edgar Allen Poe being stationed there
I loved that whole area around Va. Beach with those pockets of history that so many people neglect because of "the beach".

Current time is 09:52 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3026 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.