Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

4th of July Fare - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

It's getting close. Just wanted to see what the choices were out there. For me and my brood - burgers, brats, dogs and of course numerous adult beverages. For July 3rd - hopefully rockfish from our fishing trip, July 5th - steamed Maryland blue crab.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 02:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Huntington Beach 4th of July Parade with a seat right on Main St.  House where two former students and their parents live. Long time traditon.  The Parade is the largest west of the Mississippi.

Susan

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 02:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Food with friends and a few prayers of thanks for what we have. Then I'm going to kill some paper target, well scare them anyway.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 03:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Good thing about a birthday on the 5th is I always get a holiday, fireworks and a large picnic.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Izzy mine is the 9th of July.  I always thought it was an early birthday for me when i was a kid.

Susan

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 06:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

my birthday is the 17 of this month.  sometimes it falls on Fathers Day or its either a couple of days after it.

Last edited on Sun Jun 15th, 2008 06:14 am by Dixie Girl

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Will be celebrating by walking the midway set up on THE major corner in the old home town, eating at food tents set up by the local churches, 4-H clubs and the American Legion. Then, fireworks at the football field with a cooler by my side.

The food will be neither spectacular nor particulary tasty: hot dogs, sloppy joes, chicken fried in cast-iron skillets -- no blue crabs or shrimp jambalaya or crab cakes or KC bbq out there. Just the taste of old memories of a simpler time.

ole

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I hope everybody has fair weather for the 4th.  It is a fun holiday to be out and about.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

Just twice? It is engraved in the cornerstone of our house that we must have catfish and hush puppies at the very least monthly. Sometimes I fry them in my mother's cast-iron fry-pan, sometimes I toss them into the deep fryer, but we must have our catfish fix.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I'll be wearing 100% wool, sleeping in a tent in the middle of a farmer's field with about 10,000 other CW re-enactors...HAVING A BLAST!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 01:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Busy holiday weekend here on Long Island

07/03 - fireworks with my family in Amityville, NY (no not at the horror house)

07/04 - Playing the bagpipes in Southampton, NY with my pipe band American Celtic.   Nice parade with food and adult beverages and a bus ride home afterward.  After the parade I have a BBQ with the family at our friends house. I am sure the pipes will be played again as I will still be "in kilt"

Izzy, my birthday is on July 1st.  (1st day of Battle of Gettysburg, Battle of Malvern Hill).  As a kid we always celebrated on the 4th.

I hope everyone have a nice holiday!! Always remember the soldiers that have fallen for our country.

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Marie

Mana: 

July 3-I've got a friend coming in from PA and we are camping at the state park 3 miles frim home.   Another friend is coming down for the evening of the 3rd. We will be visiting William Knight's grave to pay our respects, then ejoying a  cookout with venison, hotdogs burgers and adult beverages  (shhh don't tell the rangers) and s'mores. 

July 4th- friend from PA & I are going to Sauder's Historic Village for the day.

July 5th-Heading down to Fort Meigs for a War of 1812 encampment, then to the graves of 2 more of Andrews Raiders, in Pemberville, OH and Dowling Cemetery.

Regards fron NW Ohio,

Jana
P.S.   Did some recon at the state park and found the camp site she booked is right next to, and down wind of, the port-a-johns.  Will be booking a new campsite this evening.

Last edited on Mon Jun 16th, 2008 09:05 pm by Marie

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 08:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Crazy Delawares wrote: I'll be wearing 100% wool, sleeping in a tent in the middle of a farmer's field with about 10,000 other CW re-enactors...HAVING A BLAST!!!!!!!
Yeah, makes me wish I'd started re-enacting sooner. Still, the cycle will begin again soon. I hope my friends who are attending send me a postcard.

Last edited on Mon Jun 16th, 2008 08:56 pm by Kernow-Ox

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 10:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Ole

One thing "these people" up here in Maryland have no clue to is fried catfish. Farm raised catfish (the only farm raised fish one should eat) is incredible. Miss the frcf, hush puppies, tomatoe relish, french fries (occasionally) with all the trimmings. People up on the eastern shore don't have an idea how good it is. The best fried catfish up here is at my house.

Doc C

Current time is 10:56 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2066 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 29 queries executed.