Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Great Ebay find - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 02:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

I just won a great group of relics on Ebay. They all came from Confederate lines at Port Hudson, Louisiana. The grouping consists of 5 field-cast bullets: a .69 musket ball, 2 3-band "minie"-type bullets, and 2 Enfield-Pritchard bullets (the 4 elongated balls apparently side-cast, as the noses aren't flat). There is also the bowl of a large iron spoon with some melted lead in the bottom (apparently a ladle used for pouring lead into molds), and a large blob of melted lead. All of the artifacts were found in the same area. According to the seller, the Confederates were desperately using all the lead they could find to cast bullets during the siege: fired Union minies, sabots from artillery shells, etc. Since my great-great grandfather fought at Port Hudson (on the Union side), this was a special find.

As a side note, in other bids I won the following:

1) A VERY corroded 6-pounder solid shot from Yorktown (Gloucester Point)

2) 4 small (1.4" or so) grapeshot (or large cannister balls) from Cooper County, MO - probably relics of the battle of Boonville

3) 3 small (3/4") iron cannister balls from central Tennessee

4) a very interesting 3-inch Hotchkiss shell fragment from the Wilderness. It consists of the nose of the shell, which blew up in such a way as to fracture neatly along the flame-grooves and create a "cross section" of a complete Hotchkiss shell nose section.

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 02:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
WV SCROUNGER

Mana: 

Dutchman....Very Nice Find Indeed!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Thanks! Since I last posted, I also managed to win a VERY nice C.W period wallet, with the leather in great shape and just some of the stitching worn. I'll likely use it to make a copy for campaign usage.

Current time is 09:24 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1424 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.