Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Those Armies Which We Admire... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 16th, 2008 05:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
5fish

Mana: 

I seen most civil war boards that everyone talks about an event, or a person, or a battle but not often do the talk about the armies involved in the event or battle. I was wondering which army or armies that were in the civil war were your favorite , or the one you thought was the best or the one you admire the most. I think we will get interesting perspectives on those fable Confederate armies of Northern Virginia and Tennessee and perspectives on those enduring Union armies of the Potomac or of the Tennessee. There maybe other less know armies someone may give us to think about.

Wonder which one to chose...

Posted: Sat Aug 16th, 2008 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ANV for me. A lean, mean, campaigning machine with one of the most beloved leaders in American history -Bobby lee- in command. Almost always outnumbered, under supplied, and many times on the brink, only overwhelming numbers and an equally determined Union Commander -U.S. Grant- finally forced these gray wolves to surrender. IMO pound for pound the greatest fighting unit ever to take the field of conflict.

Posted: Sat Aug 16th, 2008 10:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

I'll go with the AoT and the AotT. Western men. Ounce for ounce as good as it gets.

Maybe a shade more for the AoT as they had to fight the AotT and their leadership.

ole

Last edited on Sat Aug 16th, 2008 10:59 pm by ole

Posted: Sat Aug 16th, 2008 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

The Army of Tennessee is my favorite. They fought as hard as anyone and still always came back to fight another day. If you examine their record from a purely tactical standpoint, they did better than they're often given credit for. They had a lot more internal strife than the ANV but never gave up. What motivated those men to keep on going after all the failures? I think that is what intrigues me more than anything else. I have this visual in my head of those men moving by foot and rail across Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas to fight one last battle. To me that is just amazing.

Runner up would have to be the Army of the Cumberland. They never received the press like the Potomac army did. They were always being denigrated by Grant and Sherman and yet when it mattered most, they were the ones who came through in the clutch and had the last laugh.

Posted: Sun Aug 17th, 2008 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

For the Union, I'd say the Army of the Potomac because I have to admire their tenacity against a formidable adversary but still managed to finally prevail  even with an assortment of commanders.  Lincoln didn't mind changing generals whenever they let him down or did not show promise. It boggles my mind that the AotP was able to experience victory at Gettysburg when their commander, George Meade was assigned so late in the rush to Pennsylvania.

For the CSA, I have to say the long-suffering, hard knocks, rag-tag Army of Tennessee that struggled on, ragged, dirty, often barefoot, and starving until the bitter end. They seldom had the commanders they deserved or needed.

Yeah, I am a Yank, but I just have to admire, even LOVE this army because it was asked to sacrifice so much and received so little in return, not even getting fed all too often.

If you are looking for heartbreak for whatever reason, just read about the retreat of the beaten and battered Army of Tennessee as it slogs back out of Tennessee--usually barefoot-- after the demoralizing and crippling defeats at Franklin and Nashville. This scene just has to melt the hardest Yankee heart.

Last edited on Sun Aug 17th, 2008 02:02 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun Aug 17th, 2008 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

This scene just has to melt the hardest Yankee heart.

At least we can claim them as Americans.

ole

Posted: Sun Aug 17th, 2008 02:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I would agree with most all of the suggestions put out so far.  I believe Ole hit the proverbial nail on the head:

Western men. Ounce for ounce as good as it gets.

My vote is for the Army of the Tennessee, as commanded by U.S. Grant, from January - August 1863.  This army tried to re-route the mighty Mississippi, did some very hard marching through Louisiana and would finally meet armies commanded by General Joseph Johnston and Lt. Gen. John Pemberton, in Mississippi.  Once in Mississippi, they would win decisive battles at Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill and Big Black River Bridge.  This was all accomplished away from his supply line, living of the country.  Once in front of Vicksburg, Grant, after several repulses, realized he could not win by direct attack.  Settling in for a siege, Grant crippled the troops in Vicksburg, eventually receiving Pemberton's capitulation, and the "keys" to Vicksburg.  It is hard to beat this record for a fighting army.

Posted: Sun Aug 17th, 2008 06:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

My vote is with the Army of Tennessee.  Reasons already stated by Ole and Fan.  After visiting Franklin I am amazed how hard they fought. 

Susan

Posted: Sun Aug 17th, 2008 11:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I am going to throw my admiration toward the fable Army of Northern Virginia. The army was led by one of the great figures of military history, Bobby Lee, Along with Lee the army had other legendary figures like Stonewall Jackson, Longstreet, A.P. Hill and many others.

This grand Army from Northern Virgina fought and defeat a superior foe and along the way their many victories in battles became military lore. It the processes this army form Virginia will forever be remembered for gallant effort for a doom cause. Many of the names that served in the army have pasted into history but their deeds in this army form Virginia will be remembered for all time..

Off to rememeber........

PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I am going to throw my admiration toward the fable Army of Northern Virginia. The army was led by one of the great figures of military history, Bobby Lee, Along with Lee the army had other legendary figures like Stonewall Jackson, Longstreet, A.P. Hill and many others.

This grand Army from Northern Virgina fought and defeat a superior foe and along the way their many victories in battles became military lore. It the processes this army form Virginia will forever be remembered for gallant effort for a doom cause. Many of the names that served in the army have pasted into history but their deeds in this army form Virginia will be remembered for all time..

Off to rememeber........

PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
5fish

Mana: 

Off to rememeber........

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

The Army of the Tennessee gets my vote for the Union, especially under Grant, for the same reasons a couple others mentioned.

For the CSA, it's the Army of Tennessee, hands down. What these men accomplished despite lacking, over the course of the war, everything from consistently solid leadership to rations, is just amazing to me. The more I read about the AoT (I'm reading about the Battle of Franklin right now), the more I admire their tenacity.

Pam

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

The voting thus far,

Union: Tennessee 3
Potomac 1
Cumberland 1

Confederate: Northern Virginia 2
Tennessee 5

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 12:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Add one more vote for the AoT, both of em.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I forgot to say Army of the Tennessee for Union .

Susan

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Army of the Tennessee 5
Army of Tennessee 6

I must say that I'm very surprised by the results.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: Army of the Tennessee 5
Army of Tennessee 6

I must say that I'm very surprised by the results.

Just curious. What would you have guessed the most popular armies would be? I figured the Army of Northern Virginia would get more votes than it has so far.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I assumed that the ANV would have won by a landslide with the AotP in second place.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: I assumed that the ANV would have won by a landslide with the AotP in second place.
I did too even though the ANV wasn't my personal choice. I just assumed that since the Eastern Theater enjoys more popularity among modern Civil War buffs, the two main armies of that theater would be the most popular.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 05:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Must be many of us are interested in Western Theater

Current time is 04:56 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4332 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 28 queries executed.