Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lee forced to surrender at Antietam? - Robert E. Lee - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 5th, 2011 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
HankC

Mana: 

If McClellan attacks on the 16th, he bags about 20,000 men. Even on the 17th, the ANV only numbers about 35,000 on the field after everyone is up.

Not really much of a force, plus its still 120 miles to Richmond.

It's more similar to Grant capturing Donelson, though I'd not compare Lee to Floyd.

The war's mass surrenders are in fixed defenses: Donelson, Lexington MO, Richmond KY, Harpers Ferry, Vicksburg...

Are there any other large surrenders?

HankC

You have chosen to ignore znzemily. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2013 08:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Why wouldn't Lee have tried the Maryland Campaign against Grant, bolaman1975?

Last edited on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 08:34 am by Hellcat

Posted: Mon Mar 18th, 2013 07:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
bolaman1975

Mana: 

now this is just my opinion. Lee knew his opponent. Grant understood the situation. Grant would have thrown his whole army at Lee. There is no way Lee would have ever split his army. I'm not sure maybe someone can verify for me. but once Grant was actively with the Army of the Potomac, I don't believe Lee ever split his army up. Lee would have known that he was essentially on unfriendly ground. So if he lost any significant amount of troops he would known that he was on his own. If that had been Grant in charge of the Army in 1862 and not Mac and Grant had those battle plans that war would have ended at least in the Eastern theater that day. But like i said, just my opinion. Grant understood that he had numbers. Grant could lose 15,000 troops cause he had an endless supply the South did not. And Lee knew that Grant could do that and Lee couldn't.

Posted: Thu Apr 4th, 2013 08:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Valley Campaign of 1864. Lee sent Jubal Early and his II Corps to defend the Shennadoah Valley against David Hunter and potentially get Grant to send some of his troops against Early. This became an independent command under Early but it was Lee splitting his forces while facing Grant in an attempt to dillute the strength of the forces he had to face.

Current time is 10:34 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2698 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.