Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Perfection - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 11:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just finished my week long gig.  While talking to some parents regarding their infant it dawned on me that one of the problems with America/Americans is PERFECTION.  We want everything to be perfect - can't tolerate our babies spitting up (does anyone my age remember there being any mention of GERD years ago;  if babies didn't spit up we wouldn't need "burp clothes"), purchased a home which you can't afford - let the govt. help me out;

Doc C

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 06:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

thats right Doc.im only 15 and im obsessed with perfection, especially in my school work. i cant make less than an A. my parents dont care what i make as long as i dont fail but it makes me crazy if i dont do well.

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc when I was teaching I would have to deal with kids and parents who wanted perfect students.  I had a book I would loan to parents at parent conference day about perfection and how to deal with it.  I think at one time I had three copies .  I can't for the life of me remember the title right now but it sure helped alot of parents deal and understand the problem. 

I had a little girl in my class one day that was trying to draw herself.  She had a very detailed dress on that day.  She was trying to get the dress perfect on the paper.  Now I taught first grade gifted children.  I looked at the drawing which was wonderful what she had drawn so far.  I said what do you think I expect ?  Picasso?  You are a child.   I knew the lesson got though to the others in class when I hear later in the year one kid say to another, "You know she doesn't expect Picasso. "  I did that first time have to explain who Picasso was though. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 07:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Perfection is only perfection when it's compared to. . . imperfection, maybe? And though perfection is needed in things like weapons of mass destruction and surgery and stopping at stop signs, etc., it is the imperfections that give one character and something to strive against when aiming for perfection! In Civil War terms, we tend to remember McClellan for his imperfections before we credit his perfections (whatever they were!?).

Pam

Current time is 07:10 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3512 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 26 queries executed.