Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello, all. - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I've made a few posts, but I just saw this area and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Barry, and I was born and raised in Selmer, TN, about 15 minutes from Shiloh.  These days I live in Norwalk CT.

I've been interested in the Civil War since my younger days, perhaps because of my proximity to a battlefield.  Thanks to Ted Turner and Michael Shaara I developed a fascination for James Longstreet, who I've been studying for years and about whom I wrote my undergraduate senior thesis.

My BA is in history and secondary social studies education, and I recently got my MA in American Studies from Columbia University.

I love Civil War artillery, and often spend as much time on a battlefield examining the tubes as anything else.  I think the war was won (or lost depending on your point of view) in the West.  I think historians have spent more time analyzing how the South lost the war than how the North won.  I think Lost Cause mythology still has too strong a hold on the scholarship of the era and public opinion.  I believe Reconstruction was failure not because it was a bad idea, but because it was unfinished.  (Perhaps Professor Foner had some influence there.)  I think the contribution of African Americans to the war and Reconstruction has been overlooked in many ways and needs more concentrated scholarship.  My master's thesis concerned Northern black officeholders in Reconstruction Louisiana.

I also believe that's enough, so hello.

Barry

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 03:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Heck barry, you've been around long enough that I forgot you were rather new. Welcome!

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 05:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Last time I was there, it was 17 miles and some more than 29 minutes,. But that doesn't matter greatly; the last time I was there was in Coon season and that messed up everything in Selmer. Lovely town. Saw only a bit of it, but what got to see, I fell in love with.

ole

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 08:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome Barry!!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 11:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Welcome barrydancer!

I have just gotten back from the Longstreet Society meeting in Knoxville TN.  One of the speakers was Lt. Col. Harold Knudsen.  He is the author of the book General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Modern General.  Have you read this book?  I found it enlightening, especially Longstreet's strategic plan for the Confederacy.  I think it was the lack of a workable strategic plan for the Confederacy that won (for the North) or lost (for the South) the war. 

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

ole: Well, it depends on how fast you want to drive, plus the police in Stantonville love to pull people over, but I may have been being a bit optimistic in my estimate.

izzy: I'm actually a member of the Longstreet Society, but I wasn't able to make it to this year's seminar. I liked the book overall. I thought it needed an editor, but I understand he published it himself. I do believe he too often attributed adaptation to foresight. He's trying to make the case that Longstreet was "modern" in all his thinking, so everything the general did becomes modern.

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 07:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
izzy

Mana: 

barrydancer - Longstreet is an interesting topic.  However I went to this conference because of my interest in what Longstreet was doing in East Tennessee more than my interest in Longstreet in general.  I wish I had the time to pursue a study of Longstreet further.  I was just interesting to hear what a military man had to say about him.

By the way the Longstreet Society is coming closer to you next year.  The Society will meet at Gettysburg in November 2009.

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 07:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
izzy

Mana: 

izzy wrote: barrydancer - Longstreet is an interesting topic.  However I went to this conference because of my interest in what Longstreet was doing in East Tennessee more than my interest in Longstreet in general.  I wish I had the time to pursue a study of Longstreet further.  It was just interesting to hear what a military man had to say about him.

By the way the Longstreet Society is coming closer to you next year.  The Society will meet at Gettysburg in November 2009.

Current time is 05:28 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3681 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.