Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Importance of Civil War photography - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 27th, 2008 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
David White

Mana: 

wrap:

Per the CWT Photographic History of the CW, what we see today is only about 10% (going by memory here but it was pretty low) of what was taken. Many of the glass plates ended up getting used to make green houses after the war.

Posted: Tue Oct 28th, 2008 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I was reading American Brutus today, and came across this little but important tidbit about photography and the attempt to capture Booth.

Apparently, when a picture of Booth was chosen and then reproduced to give to law enforcement and military officials, one that was sort of obscure was chosen, with a pose that was not a good likeness of Booth. This meant that there were many false sightings in the days after Lincoln was assassinated. I was particularly amused by one dark-haired, mustached man who was followed all the way from Washington DC to Tamaqua, PA (northern PA) without his actually being aware of it. He was finally "caught" as he got off the train. The book doesn't say what happened to him. But there were probably hundreds of false sightings based on this photograph.

I thought it interesting to note, too, that the author mentions that Booth was known to be photographed at least "40 times," as if that is a lot--which it was for the time period. Nowadays, even tiny babies are photographed that many times in their first few days of life by their happy parents!

By the way, it's been said here before by others, but I have found American Brutus to be an excellent book chock full of information that I knew little about before I read it. If you're at all interested in the Lincoln assassination, this is one to read!

Pam

Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Pam this is one book that reading the footnotes or in this case the endnotes are important.  Lots of good information in them too.   This is one of my favorite books I have read in the past few years.  

Susan

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 02:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Sgt. Biggenbottom
Blowhard

Mana: 

ole wrote: I can't think of any technical advantage devolving from the use of photographs. I do think however, if the printing industry had the capability of reproducing a photo, the sight of the swollen bodies on both sides would have raised such a cry that it's not too hard to imagine a shorter war.

ole

Photographs of the aftermath from Sharpsburg were displayed in NYC in the fall of '62 ....

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 03:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

ole wrote:
I can't think of any technical advantage devolving from the use of photographs. I do think however, if the printing industry had the capability of reproducing a photo, the sight of the swollen bodies on both sides would have raised such a cry that it's not too hard to imagine a shorter war.

ole

sgt Biggenbottom wrote
Photographs of the aftermath from Sharpsburg were displayed in NYC in the fall of '62 ....

This was at Mathew Bradys gallery, an exhibition entitiled "The Dead of Antietam"
An article in the NY Times said "Mr Brady has done something to bring to us the terrible reality and earnestness of the war. If he has not brought bodies and laid them in our door-yards and along our streets ,he has done something very like it"

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Brady's studio but  Gardener's photographs.  They are still shocking all these years later.

Susan

Current time is 10:32 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1601 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 26 queries executed.