Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Church Services - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2006 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Judy Johnson

Mana: 

I guess my question is this; where there is a reenactment and church services are held, being non-denominational and open to the public. The reenactment is held on  a State Park property. Are we violating religious church and state issues?

It is my own opinion that we have them. Because religion was very much apart of the civil war.

What do you folks think?

Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2006 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hi Judy,

Just my opinion (and I look forward to hearing what others think):

Even as a person who thinks the line between church and state has been crossed to a point that is near unconstitutional in our society, I don't think that applies, or should apply, when it comes to historical reenactments. The job of the reenactor is to accurately recreate events as they were. Besides, I don't think any state park would be that worried about it. After all, many of them throw Christmas events, and all that is is a religious holiday. Keep in mind though that I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ;)

Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2006 09:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Judy Johnson

Mana: 

I totally agree with you. This is just a subject that was brought up at  a meeting that I attend.

Thanks,

Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2006 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Harry

Mana: 

Well, I organize a reenactment at my state park and I don't have a problem with including a church service. In fact, Fort Taylor has a chapel, which is where the service is held. Whatever one's personal views on religion happen to be, when a reenactment is presented, we have to remember that we are interpreting to the public what it was like in that era. And, yes, religion did play an important part in those soldier's lives.

Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2006 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

I think if the event reenacted included a church service or religious meeting I think it would be fine to include it.

Posted: Sun Jan 29th, 2006 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Tigerreb

Mana: 

Judy Johnson wrote: I guess my question is this; where there is a reenactment and church services are held, being non-denominational and open to the public. The reenactment is held on  a State Park property. Are we violating religious church and state issues?

No, you/they are not violating this standard. The reenactment sponsors are 'renting' the event site, and can do what they want (within reason - do damage, etc.). The standards states that states and other governmental agencies can not influence religion one way or the other. As long as the park states neutral, as it relates to the services, there is no violation.

This is based on my experience.

JIMT

Posted: Sun Jan 29th, 2006 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I think that if the U.S. government ever tried to forbid church services on any battlefield - it would be time for the reenactors to pitch the blanks and start shooting live ammo. ;)

In God We Trust! 

Current time is 04:10 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2997 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.