Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

flap holsters - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore bandera reb. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Oct 28th, 2008 09:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The CS used whatever they could lay their hands on from English holsters to US manufacture, US mil spec manufacture and home purchased to include, apparently, some made of heavy canvas.

Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

They issued whatever was available. When they had it they issued it and as the war progressed it didn't matter where they got it. Holsters both w/ & w/out flaps were issued; but I believe w/ flaps would have been the predominant.

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Johan, wasn't there a shortage of leather in the South as the war ground on?  That was one of the reasons that shoes couldn't always be replaced.  Not to mention gear for horses, mules, etc.

Patty aka Widow

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Widow; the CS started making pistol holsters out of canvas, essentially the same materials as a tarred haversack, at the tail end of the war. How many of such were made I don't know but I expect it to have been relatively few; I've heard of them and may have even seen a photo once but I've never handled or seen an original that I can recall. The one repop I saw felt awfully flimsy compared to a leather one and I can't imagine it would have held up to any kind of hard use.

As to shoes the CS imported a LOT of english shoes and made quite a few of their own via the cottage industry. I've been told at the end CS shoes were made of canvas and even some of rope soles instead of leather. That isn't terribly hard to believe as rope sandals were quite common in Texas and Mexico; I wouldn't be suprised if some CS QM bought up a wagon load. That said I've never read of shoe shortage after 63 that wasn't in the field on comapaign. In such a situation a soldier could literally walk out of his shoes. & if the QM wasn't keeping up w/ the troops w/ a decent supply of shoes the soldiers weren't going to get any except by liberal forage and scavenging.

I'm reminded of a story of the 8th TX Cav... one of the men literally stole the boots off Genl Wheelers feet while he was sleeping. It was said the enteprising soldier had to steal them off his feet because the General had heard how someone had stolen one of his Colonel's boots from his tent so he opted to sleep w/ his boots on... according to the story it only slowed the soldier down. And Wheeler, in all of his popularity w/ his men, never found the cuplrit.

Current time is 12:30 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4562 seconds (43% database + 57% PHP). 29 queries executed.