Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Test

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Test - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Anyone out there planning to take the exam on Dec 6. Currently studying my a-- off. Haven't studied like this since taking my specialty boards. Any tips for the review. However, unlike then, no pressure, pass and move on or flunk, so be it.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Good luck to you, Doc! Do you know how many they're looking for this time?

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Top 20 move on to the guide test, which is supposedly the hardest of the 2 tests. Oh, by the way, GO TIGERS BEAT THE TIDE.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 10:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Somewhere, on (maybe) this board or another, was a list of places every guide must know. Some of these were strange. I'd hope someone can point you to that thread. Hey! Can't hurt.

ole

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Thanks Ole, been there, done that. Was the one who posted it. It helped a lot. Currently studying the over 1800 monuments. Have heard that the test will post 20 pictures of monuments. Haven't studied this much since my pediatric/neonatology boards but with less pressure.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Has anyone read the new Lincoln/Frederick Douglass book? Seems that Rumsfield bought the old plantation that Douglass was a slave in St. Michaels, Md just 10 minutes from me and the plantation of one of my ancestors.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Doc,

Based on what a LBG friend of mine has told me, that list of "places every guide should know" was created by the guides themselves on several inebriated occasions, so I don't know how much of it might be on the test. . .

He did tell me that when he took and passed the test about 11 years ago, one of the questions asked about women's roles in the battle. He said he felt really lucky because just the week before he'd picked up a (believe it or not) kids book on just that subject, read it, and used what he remembered on that question. He said everybody else wrote about how they nursed the wounded and rolled bandages, but he was able to talk about the U.S. Sanitary Commission's role and Elizabeth Thorne's role, etc. Don't know if there'll be anything on on this one like that, but sometimes simple kids books tell you the straight-forward facts, which might just help.

He also told me, know your Coddington, reread your Pfanz, and know artillery inside and out.

My friend has been bugging be to take the guide test, too, but I don't think (no, I know) I'm not ready yet. His view is what do I have to lose, try it and see. I know I have some major studying to do!

Good luck to you!

Pam

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Pam

Thanks, have read Coddington/Pfanz's books 3 times. It's amazing when you finally understand the various nuances of the battle. What's going to do me in is the various small details of Gettysburg. However, unlike my medical board exams I don't have anything riding on them, aka, my career, livlyhood, etc.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Apr 29th, 2011 02:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
101combatvet

Mana: 

I was wondering how you made out. I was thinking about taking the exam this year.

Posted: Fri Apr 29th, 2011 09:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Combatvet - didn't take last years exam. Way too busy - work, daughters wedding 3 weeks ago in New Orleans, etc. Planning on it in 2012.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Apr 29th, 2011 10:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Definitely take it. As I've mentioned before, I really enjoyed taking the test. A great gauge of ones cw knowledge, imho.

Posted: Fri Apr 29th, 2011 11:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
101combatvet

Mana: 

I plan on it.... very busy but I'll try my best. I see there is a published study guide... have you seen it?

Posted: Sat Apr 30th, 2011 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Are you referring to Andrew Redds manual? Have heard of it but haven't seen where one can purchase it. Would be interesting to get a copy.

Doc C

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 01:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
101combatvet

Mana: 

Yes.

http://www.gettysburglicensedbattlefieldguideexam.com/

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 12:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Combat
Been to the website but doesn't give any information concerning purchasing it. googling the book doesn't help either.

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
101combatvet

Mana: 

If I can find a copy I'll give you a heads up.

Posted: Tue May 3rd, 2011 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Thanks, Andrew and I compared notes and study areas prior to taking the 2008 exam. He's a great guy, has a good website - civilwarlibrarian. You're right it takes a great deal of reading/studying monuments etc if your goal is to move on to the next level. However, in my case, I have no ambition to become a full time guide and liked taking it just to test my knowledge. Plan to take it next year. I really enjoy taking my friends up there and giving them my tour.

Doc C

Current time is 11:57 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Test

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4481 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.