Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Vandalized - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 12th, 2009 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

The Eternal Light Peace Memorial was badly vandalized this past week.  It is a very sad day when someone would feel the urge to desecrate something so tied to our American Experience.  The story, and links are on my blog: http://ThisMightyScourge.com/.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

man thats extremely sorry. how could somebody do such a thing? those idiots who care nothing about history and the sacred places to us need to stop and think how they would feel if we desecrated something that was sacred to them

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

One of the problems is people who vandalize monuments such as this have nothing sacred to them.   I looked at the pictures and deeply troubled by the total disregard of the meaning of this monument.  It is a peace monument. 

I hope the vandals are captured.

Susan

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 03:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Unluckily, these things happen in a free and open society.

A basic assumption is that public property ('for the greater good') is generally seen as a benefit to all and their protection is then left up to society at large with no or minimal deterrant.

I tend to think of this when driving by things such as electrical substations or water pumping stations usually protected by fairly flimsy wire fencing.

HankC

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

The mindset of people who do this sort of thing is completely unfathomable. I come across many of them as I spend my working life locking up misfits and bad guys and in my experience there is no amount of reasoning, persuasion, education or indeed punishment that will ever change the majority of them. They just cannot understand or accept that their actions ("just a bit of fun!") are so offensive to most people. Respect, it seems, is becoming a forgotten concept.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

It is very sad to realize that people could do something this ignorant to a peace monument. That monument was dedicated at the 75th reunion or the battle (by FDR) in 1938!
I agree with fedreb-respect is becoming a forgotten concept. I would love to see the vandals caught and handed out a major punishment for defacing goverment property!

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 06:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

We can all agree how despicable this is. But there's a bigger concern here. Why is it receiving zero coverage in the main street press? Where's the Gettysburg Times? The Evening Sun? Why the hell hasn't the NPS at Gettysburg sent out any press releases on this? We decided to withold a story on it while we waited for a callback from GNMP regarding the incident. A callback that never came.

Mr. Latchar - Ms. Lawhon - why the silence? Did it evr occur to you that not only does the public have a right to know, but that someone somewhere may have heard or seen something that may help? I for one am not happy about this, and I'm the furthest thing from an NPS basher there is.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I certainly agree with everything you say, Javal, but the thought may be to not give the vandals the recognition they were probably seeking. Much like when a fan jumps the fence and runs across the field at a football game and the networks refuse to show them, maybe the park and the press don't want to give the vandals the satisfaction of seeing their filthy, disgusting handiwork in the media.

Then again, maybe not. I don't know.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Tim, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I believe that not only should they inform the public but it's their duty to. How would you feel, for example, if a loved one were mugged in the park, and rather then  reach out to the public for leads, you were told that they just didn't want to give the mugger the recognition that disclosure would give him?

I realize this is a monument, not a person, but I don't believe this is a choice on the part of the NPS. It's their duty. Where does the pick-and-choose disclosure of crimes within our National Parks stop?

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 07:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you, Joe. I'm just looking for the same justification you are, and this is all I could come up with.

I understand there was the same type of graffiti on a garage in town. Maybe this plays into the equation. Again, I don't know. What I do know, however, is that as long as I live, I will never understand the kind of thought process that would lead someone to do something like this. Frustrating.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Last edited on Wed Jan 14th, 2009 09:13 am by ole

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 01:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I am as outraged as anyone. Please understand I am just trying to offer a possible explaination. Vandalism is very difficult to investigate. Judging from the published statements and the non-blurred photographs it is probably the work of juveniles.  If the style of graffiti, paint color, or statements and graphics, are simular to other incidents in the area that have some leads developed law enforcement may have requested coverage be minimalized in order not to discourage possible informants. Maximum media coverage could be counter productive.

Usually in these cases a participant braggs about the incident in front of a responsible peer who was not involved, or one of the participants concience gets the better of them.

The Emmitsburg Rd. vandalism received a lot of press, and to my knowledge it has not developed any concrete information. Perhaps this investigation is progressing on a different direction. 

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 06:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Just found the first "mainstream press" mention of this - and it's not good news. Read the article at http://civilwarinteractive.com/Newswire/ and don't forget to drop a comment there and let your feelings be known.

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ole

Mana: 

It is quite fortunate that I don't have the final say in this matter. Better still that my father is gone and he doesn't get a piece of the action. It would not be pretty. Neither he nor I would say "boys will be boys." Or "just being prankish." We were allowed to be prankish, and to mess with the grownups, and play the fool. But there was a line over which crossing would get you dead. Everybody I knew and played with and pranked with knew about the line. When did it go away?

I hung around, occasionally, with bad boys whose parents were not exactly respected in the community. But even they had that line. Their bad boys knew just how bad they were allowed to be. Mess around, stay up all night, cause the cop to chase you out of town, drop out of school, but mess with a monument? So it boggles.

I have no experience with this sort of thing. Other than knowing my fate If I had ever done something like that. A grim certainty.

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 08:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

just give me 5 minutes alone with these punks.....I WAS one of the "bad boys" in my teens so I know just how to address these types of idiots. Absolutely shameful.

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 09:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

If there is anyone who will give me 5 minutes, you may have mine, Captain.

Ole

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Absolutely disgusting.  I hope they throw these people under the jail, if they're lucky enough to catch them. 

While I'm not a fan of the idea of having security cameras following me around at national parks, perhaps they might be needed to help us preserve our history and catch thieves and vandals.

Sadly, there's probably no way to ever guard everything. 

Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2009 10:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole wrote: If there is anyone who will give me 5 minutes, you may have mine, Captain.

Ole
:D

Current time is 12:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3516 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.