Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Obama and Lincoln - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Cookie12NJCoD. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

As an Englishman I cannot comment on whose tax dollars pay for what but what I do know is that, anyway you look at things, tomorrows inauguration is history in the making and as a history buff I will be in front of the TV watching.

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 05:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

But don't forget that perhaps some public money may be used, there's also a huge economic boost to DC (hotels, meals, entertainment), etc. Part of that comes back to the federal govt. through taxes. And what's the alternative - tell the million or two who want to see it that they can't?

As for the comment about "the inaugural crap", perhaps you should spend some time in places where the transfer of power consists of murder, armies terrorizing cotizens, etc. Maybe you'll learn to appreciate what you have.

Posted: Mon Jan 19th, 2009 06:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: As for the comment about "the inaugural crap", perhaps you should spend some time in places where the transfer of power consists of murder, armies terrorizing cotizens, etc. Maybe you'll learn to appreciate what you have.

i do appreciate what i have, but i see it as nothing more than crap. its just one big party that serves no point. why don't they just get inaugurated in a a office somewhere and then get on with it. what is the point of televising it and going all out when it could be done very simply?

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

One can appreciate what one has without spending (wasting?) millions of dollars celebrating it.
I'm guessing that there are a great many people who got the President elected who figure this party is "owed to them." I wonder how angry they'd be if there was no party? Only the ceremony and then "Let's get to work!"

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Once again Joe you have said what I was thinking.  I will be in front of the tv tomorrow morning just like I have been for many since I saw Monte Montana lasso Eisenhower in the early 50's .  I will never forget seeing that when I was in school watching on a very small tv.  Doesn't matter who the president is I watch feeling pride that our country has freedom of elections and a two party system. 

It is sure not "crap"

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Susan, the first one I saw was Earl Warren swearing LBJ in in 1965. I was extremely young ;) But I haven't missed one since (OK one, but TV reception sucks 1,000 feet underwater). Didn't really matter if I liked or agreed with the guy being sworn in, it was the meaning of the ceremony itself. A public, peaceful transition is the basis of democracy. I'll let others complain about extraneous things because I know tomorrow it will be a current affair. Wednesday, it will be history.

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Exactly what I was saying , Joe.  It is a major event that will be part of history.  I want to see it and I can't get to Washington.  Will have a better seat in front of my tv.  

Susan

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Parties or not, this is history. I think the immature use of one word set me off, and changed the direction of this thread. So, in fairness to Pam, I wonder if people were put off by the parties associated with the inauguration in 1861? I wasn't actually there, but I understand there was quite a bit of turmoil then, also.

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Andrew Jacksons party at the White House after his swearing in was the one I'd most liked to have attended. A real down and out drunk with people spilling out to the lawn.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Wonder what Lincoln thought on his way back from his swearing in at the capitol in 1865 when he had to pass the many brothels located on Pennsylvannia Ave? I agree with all the above posts, that irregardless of how one feels, this is HISTORY.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I remember reading at Jackson's inauguration  people flowed into the White House some even sitting on the mantle's of the fireplaces.  

Susan

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 12:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

let me word what i mean better......i think that the hoopla associated with the inauguration, not the ceremony itself is superfluous, outrageously expensive, unnecessary, and to a certain extent cheesy..

Why do we need all those Black tie balls/ all the money wasted...the idea is to get him into office, not break the bank with celebrations....

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 12:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

As Tim tried to remind us - we're way off topic. The Lincoln-Obama comparison was the topic. Let's get back to it or let the thread die a natural death.

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

First, let me say this-Obama is now winding down his first full day as President.

So, how can I compare Obama to Lincoln? Obama has basically done nothing yet. I am reminded of a conversation I heard a few weeks ago. People discussing Obama, and saying "He is already turning things around". How absurd is that? The man had not even been sworn in yet, and he is turning things around?

Obama has a lot on his plate. All we can do is pray that he does the best for the country. Let's pray also, however, that he doesn't have to deal with close to what Lincoln had to during his stent as president.

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 12:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The only comparison which can be made between the two at the present time is their 2 roads to the office. Lincoln's securing the nomimation in Chicago was in many ways a perfect storm - extremely competent floor men, being centrist compared to his opponents (seward, chase, bates), patience to move at the right time. The only similarity so far is the fact that Pres. Obama took advantage of the mistakes Clinton made.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Okay, folks, I threw this one out for opinions and then promptly got the flu, so I'm just getting back to the land of the living. . . I didn't even really watch the inauguration even though it was on TV.

Anyway, I think many of you are sort of proving what I was getting at, that Obama and staff could make all the Lincoln comparisons and coincidences they wanted to, but now it comes down to Obama to prove he's worthy of any sort of comparison, not necessarily in the specific situations he must contend with (the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are in no way the Civil War equivalents), but in his philosophy and his way of dealing with his/the country's challenges. We can create a list of reasons why Lincoln has become the icon he has, but it's up to Obama, if he so chooses, to distill what he feels is important from Lincoln's presidency--actually, any or all of his presidential predecessors--and start using those things to build on and create his own presidency. But he must start doing his own thing soon; you can only rest on someone else's laurels for so long.

Just MHO, post flu. . .

Pam

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 05:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
jeffand

Mana: 

Although I did not vote for President Obama, I hope that he can make a positive difference.

I do think that his comparing himself to Lincoln is a bit of a stretch

Current time is 03:54 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3648 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 29 queries executed.