Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Monuments - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 07:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Watched a pbs program last nite, ? produced by the South Carolina pbs, on the confederate battle flag - pro/con. The issue of the battle flag is another issue. However, the point which struck me is that the next step might possibly be the elimination of confederate monuments. Don't have a problem with elimination of the battle flag on government property (I bet that statement draws some arrows) but I would be extremely disappointed if the time every came when these monuments would ever be removed. Another aspect of the show was that prior to watching it I was contemplating joining the SCV, however they're moving into the poliitcal arena rather than staying in the historical arena causes me to seriously reconsider such a move on my part.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

just my opinion...  It would be a sad day for american history when battlefield or any monuments for that matter would be removed because politically correct morons feel that the confederate flag or any monument pertaining to the confederacy insults there heritage.... This country has to stop trying to manipulate american history to suit the feelings of certain ethnic groups. if there heritage should be respected, than they to should respect americas. the confederate flag is a symbol of heritage but wrongfully associated with racism. if people keep bowing down to these groups there will be no accurate history left to teach. history is history and must never be changed whether its liked or not.......  im new to the board and hope others are not offended, again just my opinon..

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Doc C,

I haven't heard anything about trying to "cleanse" the Confederate monuments of their flags. . .Do you mean monuments on battlefields, or larger, like Monument Avenue in Richmond?

Pam

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The program mentioned monuments such as in town squares, boulevards, etc. No mention was made of battlefield monuments. Vertually every southern town has some sort of confederate monument in its town square.

Doc C

Last edited on Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:32 pm by Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

One case in point of flags was a cemetery in Columbia, SC which the conflict arose on the program. A confederate battle flag flew over confederate graves. A compromise was reached between city officials and some pro-flag individuals in which 3 flags - US, South Carolina state, Confederate battle flag would be flown over the graves. However, hardliners, I took as SCV members, refused the compromise thus the battleflag was removed and no flags were flown.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
TimK

Mana: 

It is too bad that the confederate battle flag has been adopted to by some groups to represent their hate. It is offensive to many people, not because of what it was, but because of what it has morphed into. But as Doc said, that is not his issue.

To do away with Confederate monuments, to me, simply does not make any sense. If they were to be removed because some found then offensive, it would be difficult to draw the line as to what should be removed, and what could stay. For arguments sake, anybody could name a monument, and I could probably come up with a group of people that would not be fond of it. Even the Peace Memorial at Gettysburg was vandalized. It seems as though some people are even offended by peace. Should all the monuments to Columbus come down because many Italian-Americans are offended by Columbus? This would be a can of worms I don't think any politician would want to open.

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

What fools these mortals be.

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 07:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I saw this pbs program and was amazed by the problem of the flag in Columbia.  The cemetery is Elmwood cemtery.  The flag pole was by the UDC platform where Confederate memorial day services were held .  The platform was in the middle of a part of the cemetery that has an arch with lettering that says Confederate cemetery.   This area is all Confederates except one lone Union grave right at the base of the platform.  

As I traveled though the South in front of many court houses I have seen the sam Confederate Soldier statue.  It has become a "where' waldo" for me to see if the Courthouse has the statue.  I don't see anything wrong with them.  Many Northern town courthouses have a Union soldier monument. 

Columbia has another interesting statue beside the Confederate soldier statue in front of the Capital building the one that is flying the Confederate flag that was removed from over the statehouse building.  Back behind the Statehouse is the biggest equistrian state I have seen in the South.  It is Wade Hampton former governor of South Carolina.  Oh yeah he was a General in the Civil War too by the way.  Soooooo How is he depicted there on the groups of the state house where he served as Governor?  As a General mounted on his horse , of course,  around the state are brass plates with the name of each battle he took part in.  Nothing about his Governorship.  Just over from this state is the African American history monument . 

Current time is 01:52 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3091 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.