Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Time Machine -- What would you want to see?

Time Machine -- What would you want to see? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 02:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
tr1strev

Mana: 

If you could go back and be a fly on the wall so to speak of just one event in the Civil War what would it be? Would it be a battle, a specific engagement or maybe a meeting or conversation?

For me it would be Chamberlain and the 20th Maine defend Little Round Top.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

I would be at the same battle, but would want to see Lo Armistead waving his sword with that black hat on it leading his men across that field during Pickett's Charge.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 08:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

tr1strev

I would agree with the above, Gettysburg, but can't define a specific moment during the 3 days. Welcome to the board. Apparently we both live in Easton. Here's my email address if you want to contact me. Have contemplated trying to start some sort of roundtable in this area since the closest is in Annapolis or Wilmington. mjc4321@msn.com

Doc C

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
John Bell

Mana: 

I would like to be in the parlor at McLean house with General Lee and Grant at the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. Had to be quite an interesting and emotional meeting.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

The surrender at the Mclean house was a monumental moment but, amongst many other places, I think I would choose to be at the Wilderness when the fighting was done and Grant ordered the AotP to turn South instead of retreating to lick its wounds. That decision was the beginning of the end.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I think I'd like to be with Lincoln as he walked around the Confederate White House after Richmond fell, and watch the look on his face as he settled into Jefferson Davis' desk chair.

Second, I'd choose to be on Barlow Knoll at Gettysburg just to see what my ggggguncle John H. Rothrock saw as the 153rd PA was flanked.

Welcome to the board, tr1strev! I'm from the Easton area originally (Quakertown), and my sister still lives in Hellertown.

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I would love to hear the thundering cannonade of artillery at 1:00PM, day three at Gettysburg.

I would also  love to have witnessed the great cavalry battle at Brandy Station.

Sherman's taking of Atlanta would be cool to see also.

Actually I would appreciate seeing almost any action of the Civil War, even JEB Stuart and his cavalry or Custer and his horsemen passing by on the road while I remain safely hidden in some bushes.

Last edited on Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:18 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

for me it would be the First Battle Of Manassas. i would like to meet Stonewall Jackson and hear Bernard Bee when he shouted "Look there is Jackson standing like a stonewall....Rally behind the Virginians!"

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 03:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I would like to be in the audience to hear Lincoln give hisGettysburg Address. 

Others I would like to be with Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay or on Winstead Hill before the Battle of Franklin with Cleburne. 

I would like to go back and talk to some of the women who went to war as soldiers to find out what it was like for them. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 03:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

for me it would have to be Ole "Pap" Greene over on Culps Hill. For those of you who have studied that area you no what those soldiers went thru. Although he never got the glory that those defending lil round top recieved he and the soldiers on the hill were certainly worthy

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 07:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Ummmm, civilwar 6165, that would be "Ol' Pap" Greene. Copyright protection, proprietary interests, and all that.

Ole

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Forgive me Ole..............  Was at the "ol" Jack Daniels " flask at the time of my posting,  lol.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Gotta watch it, civilwar6165, or ole will show up at your door with lutefisk, to render you unconscious--not by beating you with it, just by nauseating you into a coma with it.  ;)

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

nooooooooooooooo....   do not open that container............. 

Current time is 09:40 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Time Machine -- What would you want to see?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3888 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.