Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Cauliflower Gratinee - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 11:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

One of the problems we have in this house is that we don't eat enough veggies. Tonight we had a Pork Roast with Sage & Potatoes, and as a side dish we made the following . The roast was great, and I'll post  the recipe when I feel like typing that much. But we both agreed that this cauliflower dish was the star of the meal. Warning: for a vegetable dish, it would probably be considered unhealthy. But I've always been of the opinion that the healthy food police can go to h*ll:

• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips (We substituted slab bacon)
  • Florets of 1 large head cauliflower, cut into ¼ inch lengthwise slices
  • 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup cup chopped fresh parsley

• 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and sauté 2 minutes more.

3. Add the cauliflower and cook just until it begins to lose its crispness, 3 to 4 minutes.

4. Stir in the flour and then the cream. Blend well. Season with the cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling and immediately remove from the heat.

5. Pour the cauliflower into a shallow au gratin dish. Top with the cheese and parsley. Bake until the top is lightly browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 06:56 pm
       PM  Quote  Reply 
    2nd Post
    ole

Mana: 

Printed out the recipe but, you're right, it doesn't look very South Beach.

What you can do, instead of potatoes, is to steam the cauliflower and then mash it. With enough tricking up the flavor, it can be good, it's quite healthful. (Salt, pepper, Smart Balance, and whatever else makes you happy. I'd have suggested onion bits, but you have made quite plain your distaste for that manna.)

Current time is 08:06 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
    Page processed in 0.1376 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.