Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Author of "Stealing the General" Has New Book - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 03:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

From Andrew Wagenhoffer's excellent blog, Civil War Books and Authors comes word  that Russell S. Bonds has written a new book "War Like the Thunderbolt: The Battle and Burning of Atlanta". Bonds is known by several of us here for his fascinating book "The Stealing of the General," one I hope will be made into a movie.

Wagenhoffer tells us that Bonds's new book will be released in August, a good time to release it given the dates of the Battle for Atlanta.  I can't wait to read this book. It can be pre-ordered at Amazon right now for $19.00. I plan to get on the list. Bonds's is such a good writer and knows how to bring out the drama of a historical event.

Last edited on Mon Mar 9th, 2009 03:12 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 04:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Thanks for the alert CleburneFan. Do we know if this book is specifically about the battle of July 22nd?  I hope this isn't a general history of the campaign because we have plenty of those in print.

Last edited on Mon Mar 9th, 2009 04:30 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 04:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Thanks for the information Fan.  I loved Stealing the General so will look for it . He lives and works in Atlanta for Coca Cola so writing about Atlanta would be right up his alley

Susan

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 05:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: Thanks for the alert CleburneFan. Do we know if this book is specifically about the battle of July 22nd?  I hope this isn't a general history of the campaign because we have plenty of those in print.
I've been in contact with Mr. Bonds and I believe this book specifically deals with the July 22nd Battle of Bald Hill (aka Atlanta), and of course the burning of the city which followed not too long after.  I'm not sure if Ezra Church, Jonesboro, etc. are included or not.

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Russell Bonds

Mana: 

Hi CleburneFan, Iron Duke, et al. and thanks for your interest.

The book is not a full campaign study but (hopefully) a more focused view on the battles at the gates of Atlanta, and the fate that befell the civilians of Atlanta as well.  The book opens with Sherman crossing the Chattahoochee, then Hood replaces Johnston and pretty much all hell breaks loose.  I'd like to think that my story is a little different than the excellent work Castel, McMurry, Davis and others have done in the past.  As I hope you'll see, I really enjoy focusing on the characters:  not only Sherman and Johnston and Hood, but Cleburne, Thomas, Hooker, Howard, Harrison, Wheeler etc. etc.

Amazon link here.  I really appreciate your taking early notice of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Like-Thunderbolt-Burning-Atlanta/dp/1594161003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235604271&sr=1-1

Kind regards,

Russell Bonds, Marietta, Georgia

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Well, Mr Bonds, I can't wait until your book arrives at my door!

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 06:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Russell thanks for posting the information on here.  I can't wait to get your book.  Stealing the General was such a good read. 

Should be interesting reading about the men involved in the battles around Atlanta. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 2nd, 2009 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Thank you Mr. Bonds for sharing that information with us.  Have you read The Siege of Atlanta by Sam Carter?

Posted: Wed Apr 29th, 2009 12:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Russell Bonds

Mana: 

Sure, Iron Duke, I know Carter's book.  It's a good and engaging account, if a bit fictionalized in places. 

Please note our updated Amazon.com listing, with pre-pub blurbs from James McPherson and Robert Hicks.  I appreciate your interest and hope you enjoy the book!  RSB 

Posted: Wed Apr 29th, 2009 01:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I checked AMazon and have pre-ordered the book. I find I really like the title. IT just makes me want to read that book, but right now, not in August!

Posted: Wed Apr 29th, 2009 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Scarlett

Mana: 

I have heard that Stealing the General was really good, but I haven't read it. I'll have to read it and this new book when it comes out. The title sounds very interesting, I don't know much about the battle of Atlanta.

Posted: Mon May 18th, 2009 04:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Mr. Bonds,

I came across your magazine article on Polk. How that man was able to gain a generalship when he had no military experience whatsoever and managed to retain it after all his blunders is a mystery to me.

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 02:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Roy

Mana: 

I look forward to reading Mr. Bonds' new book. His previous book "Stealing the General" was a very well written book! I highly recommend that one.

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 12:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I just got a notice from Amazon where I ahve the book pre-ordered. They say the publication releasde will not be until September 9.  Also I haven't yet received the Wittenberg Dalhgren book I pre-rdered. I surely hope they don't both arrive at the same time! I'll be swamped trying to read them both.:D

Current time is 09:25 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1863 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.