Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Stealing Lincoln's Body - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 10:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
TimK

Mana: 

I noticed this show was on the History Channel again last night. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to see it. Has anybody seen it? Is it worth a couple hours of my time?

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

I enjoyed watching it (not last night though). Filled with little details. Names, dates, plots ,,,, As to whether it is or is not worth your time, you'll have to decide that.

Ole

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I enjoyed it. It was so bizarre that anyone would attempt such a thing and expect to get away with it. There is a book about this too.

Stealing Lincoln's Body by THomas J Craughwell

I haven't read this book but have given some thought to reading it. The crime is so interesting. It would make a good movie.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 05:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I've seen it a couple times on The History Channel. I found it interesting and worthwhile. Check The History Channel's website (history.com) and check their TV schedule. The program might be repeated in the near future.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 05:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

It is the History Channel. You will be seeing this pop up with some regularity. Just check into the web sites periodically and you will find a time that works for you.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 11:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

I'm familiar with the story, and the HC did a good job with it.
It still amazes me that there was no law against grave robbing in Illinois back in 1876!!!!
Another good book on the subject is 'The Great Abraham Lincoln Hijack' by Bonnie Speer

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 11:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Stealing Lincoln's Body was one of the subjects presented to us at last year's Civil War Institute in Gettysburg. Craughwell was the speaker and his presentation was hilarious, given that the subject matter is at times both appalling and intriguing.

It's hard to believe this attempt to steal Lincoln's body actually occurred in our history, but it did. Craughwell's story was pretty much about the gang that couldn't think straight.

I thought the History Channel presentation was interesting and informative and I would recommend it.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

I enjoyed it too, but then I live here and all the landmarks are quite familiar

Ed

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I bought the book last summer in Springfield and loved it .  I don't have cable so talked a friend into taping it for me.  I really enjoyed it .  It covered the story well.  It is a strange story but true .  I like what Pvt Clewell said , the gang who couldn't think straight.  You just can't believe what they will do .

Cleburne Fan get the book and read it .  It goes fast and is a really good read. 

I remember as a child when I visted Springfield and went out to see the grave, my father's cousin told us about the attempt to steal the body. 

Susan

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
buzzard

Mana: 

Same here, I enjoyed it for the second time in a short span. What a bizarre plot to begin with, and the ineptitude of those involved is almost comic.

Mr Hess53 writes:
"It still amazes me that there was no law against grave robbing in Illinois back in 1876!!!!"

Grave robbing was a prime business up until the late 1800's. Many states besides Illinois did not have laws to protect the cemetery or the grave of an individual. Most bodies were used for doctors and medical colleges. Another famous story about the same time was as follows:

Several states received the incentive they needed to enact such laws in 1878 when US Senator John Scott Harrison (son of president W. H. Harrison and father of president Benjamin Harrison) died and was buried three days later in Ohio. Having received word that the body of William Devin, a friend of the family, had been stolen from its grave and transported to the Medical College of Ohio, Senator Harrison's son and his nephew surveyed the college. Although they found no trace of Devin, as they were about to leave, they spotted the body of Senator Harrison being hoisted into the dissecting room! Soon thereafter anatomy laws were passed in Ohio and Indiana.

There are numerous cases of famous medical schools and colleges found to be on the other side of the law in order to gain cadavers for their dissections. There was certainly little respect for the grave. The 1870's seemed to be prime time for many of these stories to appear in local papers.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

LOL! All this talk about grave robbing makes me think of Burke and Hare, and stories by Robert Louis Stevenson, like "The Body Snatcher."

It is odd, though, that as reprehensible as the act has always been considered there were no laws on the books at the time. Interesting.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Here in the Mountain Time Zone, shows on cable come on at really awkward hours (no tears, please - I'll muddle through). A few weeks ago, I accidently came across a show based on "American Brutus" (anybody else see it?) at 11:30 on a Sunday night. I thought it was excellent, but I'm rarely up that late on a Sunday night. If this show is of the same quality, I'm sure I can find a time to see it, even if it starts at 6:00 on a Saturday morning.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 07:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Yes, I've seen "American Brutus" several times. It never ceases to fascinate me.

Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 10:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
TimK

Mana: 

The bad news - a nasty infection kept me from working today. The good news - this show was on this afternoon on the History Channel. Although I wanted to close my eyes and sleep, I was fascinated by this story. I love it when the History Channel presents history and not lumberjacks and truck drivers. They did a really nice job. Thanks for the recommendations.

Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 10:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Glad to read you got to see the show.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Susan

Current time is 04:19 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1870 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.