Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

let me introduce myself - 9th VA Cav - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 03:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
9th VA Cav
Corporal

Mana: 

Hello, all! I just got all registered-up for your CW interactive forum. I have recently been determined to find such a site to help learn and share about CW history, family geneology, and primary resources.

I am an elementary schoolteacher who is lucky to have a dad with a keen interest in geneological research. This partially explains my username - my gggrandfather (think I said that right!) was Cpl. Richard H. Stevens, Company A (Stafford Rangers), 9th Virginia Cavalry.

I look forward to future discussions and learning! Take care!

Last edited on Mon Mar 30th, 2009 10:20 am by 9th VA Cav

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 06:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

welcome to the group! my username is also an homage to my g.g. grandfather, Abel M. Crow: Macon Light Artillery who saw action at Fredricksburg, Petersburg, and several other places during the war.

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 11:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Welcome. 9th VA Cavl! I, too, have chosen pamc153PA in honor of an ancestor who fought in the Civil War--in my case, my ggggg uncle, who was wounded on Day 1 of Gettysburg and later died of that wound.

You'll find a lot of nice folks here, and folks who know a lot about the CW--and are willing to share. Enjoy!

Pam

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 10:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
9th VA Cav
Corporal

Mana: 

Capt. Crow, Pam, thanks for the welcomes! Again, I look forward to beginning online discussions and "exploration" here of the Civil War/19th century period and learning what I can about online family history resources.

A prime focus for now is finding out more regarding the wartime communities of the Stafford Courthouse area; Union occupation and encampments, maps and descriptions of the changes in Stafford resulting from the War, and very specifically the area encompassing what is called "Jumping Branch Road" - the location of my great-great-grandfather's still-standing farm house and family cemetery.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Jumping+Branch+Road,+Stafford+Virginia&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=XMbKSb_OAuDlnQfV8LzMCQ&mid=1238409071

Adam aka 9th VA Cav

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Welcome to the site!

I am sure that you will enoy being here as much as we will enjoy having you share with us.

Can you share any further info on your relative?  Would love to hear about things he experienced in the war.

Again, welcome and hope to hear from you often.

Devils Den  a.k.a. Chuck Shockley

Posted: Fri Apr 3rd, 2009 10:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
9th VA Cav
Corporal

Mana: 

Devils Den wrote:
Welcome to the site!

I am sure that you will enoy being here as much as we will enjoy having you share with us.

Can you share any further info on your relative?  Would love to hear about things he experienced in the war.

Again, welcome and hope to hear from you often.

Devils Den  a.k.a. Chuck Shockley

Dang. I just accidentally backspaced and deleted about half-an-hour's worth of detailed writing about my family history.

Poop!

I'll come back to it later. Suffice to say, Stafford County geneological resources really helped me out as well as did the Virginia Library of Richmond (online) - found Confederate pension records scanned online, birth records from the Fredericksburg Virginia Herald newspaper, lots of great stuff.

http://www.lva.virginia.gov/whatwehave/index.htm

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vastaffo/

http://www.lib.virginia.edu/scholarslab/resources/gis/vagaz/index.html

http://9thvirginia.com/pre.html
Adam

Last edited on Fri Apr 3rd, 2009 10:23 pm by 9th VA Cav

Current time is 02:09 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1549 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.